Shocks & rear sway bar recommendation for 03 SCrew

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shocks & rear sway bar recommendation for 03 SCrew

Just looking for recommendations and experience for better shocks and a rear sway bar for my 2003 King Ranch Super Crew. It is a 2wd, stock front height, rear lowered 2" to level. It is a 95% on road truck. I would definitely like better handling but have to have a smoother ride or I'll have to listen to the wife and kids complain.

Shocks - searched the forum and the Bilstein 5100 seems to be everybody's recommendation, but their site doesn't list one for my truck. How is the HD monotube? I had Edelbrock IAS on my '99 extended cab and wasn't impressed. Any others to look at? KYB?

Rear sway bar - I've been planning this since I bought the truck. I originally planned to get the Lightning bar from Ford, but those must be getting scarce. Is that the best, or go with Addco, Belltech, Hellwig, etc.?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by fastlane65
Just looking for recommendations and experience for better shocks and a rear sway bar for my 2003 King Ranch Super Crew. It is a 2wd, stock front height, rear lowered 2" to level. It is a 95% on road truck. I would definitely like better handling but have to have a smoother ride or I'll have to listen to the wife and kids complain.

Shocks - searched the forum and the Bilstein 5100 seems to be everybody's recommendation, but their site doesn't list one for my truck. How is the HD monotube? I had Edelbrock IAS on my '99 extended cab and wasn't impressed. Any others to look at? KYB?

Rear sway bar - I've been planning this since I bought the truck. I originally planned to get the Lightning bar from Ford, but those must be getting scarce. Is that the best, or go with Addco, Belltech, Hellwig, etc.?

Thanks for any advice.
I installed Rancho 5000 on my 97 4x2 and they were great for the $$. Lasted 175K, still on for new owner. Also had them on my 88 4x2 with same service. Installed Bilstein on my 06 SCrew 4x2 because price was close to Rancho. I'm sure Bilstein is a superior shock, but you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in daily driving.

Can't help with sway bar. Havn't gone there yet.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
5100 is for lifted applications. I think for a stock 2WD, the HD is your option...but from what I understand, the HD and 5100 are the same shock with the only difference being the finish and the extended lengths for the off road stuff. Same internally.

Surprised you didn't like the IAS's...I had them on my no-lift truck and liked them. What didn't you like about them??

I think if you get more replies to this, you will find that the Bilstein is going to be the top recommendation though. This web site is definately Bilstein country!!

Old 10-25-2007, 10:29 PM
If you're looking to get the best deal for your money you can't go wrong with one of the Lightning rear sway bars. Guys over on the NLOC board are selling their used rear sway bars because they've long since been replaced by an aftermarket sway bar and there now just occupying space on the garage floor. They're practically giving the things away. Just go over to the site and sign up... no fee.... and then go to the Gen 2 Want To Buy section and put up a WTB rear sway bar and keep an eye on the thread. You can even have it set up to where a response to your thread will shoot you an email to let you know you have a hit. Good quality part that I'm sure you could get your hands on for $100.00 or so maybe. I know I'd sell you mine for that. Heck...then I I could throw another 100 or so and upgrade myself. But honestly I'm not sure I will unless I upgrade the entire system which would cost me some additional coin. The stock unit is that good.

Roach

Quick Reply: Shocks & rear sway bar recommendation for 03 SCrew