Opinions on softer ride/shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Opinions on softer ride/shocks

I have a F150 '04 s-cab, long box, 4x4 with 8200#GVWR heavy duty suspension.

I have been thinking of ways to soften the ride. I don't want to spend money on things that won't make any or very little difference. I just want it to look stock.

1) I have load range E tires 3000#rating. Max air pressure 80psi, I have been running at 50psi. Maybe lower load range tire with softer side walls might help ride?

2) The truck has 26,000 miles on it and as far as I can tell, the original shocks. If I were to change out to (let's say) Monroe sensitrack do you think that would help the ride? Or would they be stiffer than the used shocks with 26k miles on them??

3) Lighter coil springs in the front?

4) Removing a leaf in the back and adding air bags to bring back end up if need be. Or different leaf springs in the back all together.

I talked to a Ford parts guy and asked if what I had was the F250 suspension and frame to which he said no, neither. So I was wondering if regular springs off of a Lariat would be lighter and would fit right on.

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Figgy

Old 04-04-2007, 01:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you know what... I was running 04+ 4wd shocks up front with 2 inch drop springs and OMG was it ruff. I dunno why it was but I switched them out for 2wd bilsteins using the same 2 inch drop coil (which has close to the same spring rate as stock) and OMG what a difference I feel sorry for you 4wd guys. 2wd shocks should fit but I'm not 100% they are also one inch shorter than the 4wd shock. so bilstseins 2wd lift shock would work if you want to stay stock drop the front an inch or raise it an inch....

Old 04-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Interesting...
Is your truck a 4x4?

I guess the main question I have is how much the shocks have to do with the ride. My gut feeling in my case says very little. Although I have read lots of threads on here that say the opposite.

I called Monroe today and asked them if changing to Sensatrac from the stock shocks would make much difference in their opinion and the guy said "very minor if any".

I'm guessing I have larger springs front and rear and that accounts for 95% of the ride quality. The rest might be shocks and tires.

Any one else have a educated opinion on the subject??

Figgy

Old 04-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know for a fact if you're looking for a good ride, go with the KYB Gas-a-just shocks.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by figgy
Interesting...
Is your truck a 4x4?

I guess the main question I have is how much the shocks have to do with the ride. My gut feeling in my case says very little. Although I have read lots of threads on here that say the opposite.

I called Monroe today and asked them if changing to Sensatrac from the stock shocks would make much difference in their opinion and the guy said "very minor if any".

I'm guessing I have larger springs front and rear and that accounts for 95% of the ride quality. The rest might be shocks and tires.

Any one else have a educated opinion on the subject??

Figgy
Anyone else have an opinion on this?
How 'bout you suspension techs??

Old 04-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't have any additional info on the Bilsteins or Monroes, but I am interested in solving a similar issue.

I did put KYB gas adjusts on my T-bird which made it handle great but it rode lke a.... ah, like a Ford F150.

Quick Reply: Opinions on softer ride/shocks