Grounding Sub

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grounding Sub

This is probably an easy question for those that have more electrical knowledge than me, which is a lot of you. The harness that came with my sub has about a 14 or 12 gauge wire coming off it for the ground connection. I am told by one guy I work with that it would be worthwhile to solder a small length of heavy gauge(I have some 6 gauge) wire to the smaller wire and then attach the heavier gauge to the body of the truck.

I understand a little about resistance and why you don't use a 1000 foot 14 gauge extension cord to run your table saw, but don't understand how I would be gaining anything by adding short length of heavier gauge wire prior to attaching to truck body.

Old 02-02-2005, 11:30 AM
110v vrs 12v as to the wire sizes

I would only do that if the sub is giving you problems (alt whine).

Old 02-02-2005, 01:05 PM
I have never heard of such a thing! I can see NO reason for such a suggestion. It will make your system have MORE resistance to ground; increasing a chance for engine whine. It gives you longer lead, an extra connection = extra resistance!

The only way it could help is if you were REPLACING the smaller wire with the larger (dia) one.

ps... you are talking about the amp -not the speaker- right?

Old 02-02-2005, 01:59 PM
Okay thanks for the info. I was referring to the Sub, which is self powered. No separate AMP.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:55 PM
You can run the same gauge wire as your sub for the ground, but keep the ground wire short as possible so you don't get any engine whine coming out of your sub

Old 02-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Thats called bottlenecking and makes no sense. Like putting 4" exhaust at the end of a 2" exhaust.

Old 02-04-2005, 05:22 PM
ok, just to clear this up, because it is very confusing on the read. the sub is a speaker and is wired to an amp. its the amp's ground wire that you are considering upgrading. is this correct? you do not, under any circumstance ground a sub to the truck. you DO ground the amp to the truck. with this in mind, what buzzz said is correct, you don't have a 14 gauge wire coming off the amp and hot wired into a 6 gauge wire that is grounded. replace the entire ground wire with the biggest wire that will fit into the amp's hookups. but keep in mind, that it is always recommeded to use the same gauge wire with your power and ground, so if you use a bigger wire for your ground, do yourself a favor and go with the bigger wire for your power as well.

Quick Reply: Grounding Sub