Sealed or Ported Box?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sealed or Ported Box?

Hey guys, I have 2 10" subs in sealed split truck boxes. Should I go with ported boxes rather than sealed? I listen to mostly rap music. I've never had ported boxes so I don't know if it is better or not. My subs are rated for sealed or ported.

Any advice/tips is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 10-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Depends on what your looking for because whats "better" to some isn't for others.
It will be louder, but you might lose some SQ. If a ported box is build right to fit a sub, it can sound real good.
Look at it this way, if your happy with the way you have it, leave it alone. If you want to know if you can improve on what you have by going ported, than with rap music, you proberly will improve because ported will be louder. Just be ready to build bigger boxes. Look at what you sub rec. for that.

Old 10-04-2004, 12:58 PM
A sealed box will give you tighter bass and requires less cubic ft. of air space. A ported box will give you that long drawn-out booom! but, the air space required is alot more. Look at your sub specs and it should tell you the cu. ft. needed for both sealed and ported enclosures. It comes down to personal taste. I think hip-hop sounds better on ported boxes. The best thing to do is to find a friend with a ported box and listen to a couple of songs or to your local stereo shop and listen to the difference to see if it's something you want to go with. just make sure you have the additional room for the bigger ported boxes or your sound quality will go to hell. good luck .

rockafella

Old 10-04-2004, 01:45 PM
Do you have the specs (T/S params) on your subs?

If so look for a program called Winisd. Download it and add you subs specs into it, then it will give you all the info you need.

Then just run up to the store and get the stuff you need and build the box. It's only a days worth of work and less then $20 to build a box.

I say give it a try, if you don't like ported then you're not out that much.

Old 10-04-2004, 04:18 PM
I have the Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW1025dB. The box volume is 1.0 cubic feet for a ported enclosure (.75 to 1.5 allowable range).

Maybe I'll just buy em and see what happens.

thanks for the information.

What kind of subwoofer setup do you guys use in your systems?

Old 10-13-2004, 07:25 PM
All but once have I ever used anything but a sealed box. Sealed gets so much better sound and power than ported. The one time I did a ported box was with a huge Crystal CMP 15 that could handle around 1,000 watts...pure SPL that was...but it was super stiff and was made to move the air. Most generic subs aren't made strong enough for ported..they sound hollow and boomy, but lack power and force.

Quick Reply: Sealed or Ported Box?