2004 - 2008 F-150

Missing under load, false overheat, radio going crazy, no codes thrown

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 01:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing under load, false overheat, radio going crazy, no codes thrown

I have a 2006 f150 5.4 with just over 102k miles on it. It started out with a hesitation/miss under load, only when kicking it down when already going 50-55, was driving beautifully otherwise. I finally got it missing for a couple minutes straight and it threw a misfire code, mechanic changed one coil and it made no difference, but problem went away a day later and hasn't come back since. That was three days ago. Earlier today my temp gauge pegged out within 5 minutes of driving so I pulled over and popped the hood and it was definitely not actually overheating. Turned it off and started it back up and it was fine for the rest of my drive. Tonight suddenly my gauges and radio started going crazy, ABS kicking on and off, until the radio died. Got it home and turned it off, started it later and the radio had reset. Battery is good and couldn't find any loose connections anywhere but it was dark out so could've missed something. I guess I just really don't know where to start when I go out to fiddle with it in the morning other than checking wires and grounds? I don't know if any of these things could be related? Every time it has acted weird it's been after raining but I can't find any evidence of water getting to any components thus far.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:04 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Have you had the battery load tested?

102k - have you ever changed the spark plugs? If not, they are overdue.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Have you had the battery load tested?

102k - have you ever changed the spark plugs? If not, they are overdue.
I've actually only had this truck less than two weeks I was told plugs were recent but who knows. Battery and alternator are going to get tested later today, but I'm really suspicious it's a wiring or computer issue because sometimes it's fine and others it isn't. I drove it 20 miles to town and back this morning and it ran perfectly.

Old 08-06-2020, 01:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you ever figure out what the issue was?

Old 08-06-2020, 10:36 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Brittany, instead of asking in 5 year old threads if someone else's problem was fixed, please start a new thread for help in the appropriate forum, describe your truck and the issues you are having.

Quick Reply: Missing under load, false overheat, radio going crazy, no codes thrown