2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Badly worn original rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Badly worn original rotors

I have a 2012 F-150 Ecoboost with badly worn rotors on the inner side. Mileage on my truck is 36000 and the rotors/brakes in front have never been changed. Has anyone seen this kind of wear? It's apparent that pad contact was only to the middle of the rotor and not at the inner or periphery of the rotor. Consequently, the rotor is badly worn in the middle and rusty where pad made little or no contact.

Outer side of rotor looks to have normal wear

Inner side of rotor shows poor contact. Pad did not contact inner or periphery of the rotor.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your calipers do not "float" correctly on the slider pins, that kind of wear is very normal. Basically, the piston will only apply pressure to one pad. I hope you cleaned and / or replaced all of the brake hardware when you did the brake job.

As I recall, you can also see that kind of wear on F-150's because certain years have an actual inner and outer pad. Put them on the wrong sides of the rotor and bad things happen.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:22 PM
Yes be careful to understand which one it's the inner and outer pads when install the new sets.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:20 AM
My 2011 looked exactly the same.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:52 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
You can also get funky wear with a failing hub bearing

Old 07-28-2016, 01:25 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Did you get the pictures reversed? The first picture looks like normal wear to me but I do see rust on some spots of the surface in the 2nd picture. Or is that pictures of two different rotors or different sides of the same rotor? The 2nd picture looks like rust formed when the vehicle is parked for long periods and rust forms where the pad sits against the rotor. My guess is that the moisture just doesn't dry in that tiny gap between the rotor and the pad and causes rust to from. If that's what it is, then the only cure is to drive it more often and/or to make sure that the brakes are warm and dry when you park it for any long period of time. FWIW I have frequently seen the brakes on one side of the vehicle much worse than the other because rain will blow in from one side and soak the brakes only on that side. If the truck is exposed to rain while sitting, it might help to cover it or to at least cover the wheels to prevent rain getting on the brakes.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:02 AM
What did you replace them with? I was considering the Power Stop Z36 kit.

Quick Reply: Badly worn original rotors