Lightning

Is It Safe To Run NOS On The New Lightning's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2000, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Is It Safe To Run NOS On The New Lightning's?

I am planning to install a NOS kit on my new L and was wondering if you think that it would be safe on the Supercharged Lightning motor? I talked with NOS and they state that the new Lightning motor's are really built tough and running nitrous on them will not hurt them. It's really hard to trust a manufacture's information when they are trying to sell you something. The kit that they are going to release this month is going to to be a 125-150 hp kit. I was planning to cut that back to 80 hp. Do you think running an 80 hp nitrous kit on my L will cause any problems? Thanks, HANKFAN

Old 07-10-2000, 06:15 PM
I dont have NOS on mine and although its tempting, I dont want to mess with the warranty issues. "Um, mr service writer, my engines blown but I swear that bottle in the back has nothing to do with it."

Also, if you've never seen the pictures of the guy with the maxima who left his bottle warmer on, you should. KABOOM!

That said, there are lots of owners on the board who are running nos with no problems. Wyldman ran an 80 shot at first but has since bumped it up even higher. I've seen his bolt run and its probably been more reliable than my non-juiced Lightning.

Old 07-10-2000, 06:25 PM
Hank

NOS can be "safe" with the right kit and accessories. Have not installed on my L but have had NOS in the past. I would recommend you use 1) Purge Valve - Makes sure you have fresh N20 at the jet 2) RPM Switch only allows trigger when at a set RPM in combo with the throttle switch 3) Pressure Gauge - Obvious 4) Progressive Controller allows for gradual spray from 0-100% based on rpm(especially with the wheel spin most of use have already)

Had a similar kit on a 98 Accord Coupe and it was a blast. I don't know for sure where you would plumb the jet. When I called SHM they didn't really recommend just tapping into the intake before the S/C.

What kit did NOS Recommend to you????

Would like to know.

Later
SHM_SVT

Old 07-10-2000, 06:37 PM
I've run both an 80 & 100 dry shot, and removed because of a slight ping (not good). i ordered one of Sals 4 program chips (which came in today, thanks Sal!) which includes a 100max nitrous program, that i hope addresses the timing/fuel problems that i had b4. i'll report when i get it all hooked up

Old 07-10-2000, 07:58 PM
Cool

Well I guess I Can Speak From 1st hand experence.

I'll be glad to fill you in on my findings.

The most important thing that lots of folks over look in a NOS application are checking your air/fuel mixture. This is to make sure while you are spraying the NOS, your engine is not running on the lean side.

With my application I did all my tuning on a Dyno where I could monitor all my changes.

To change your air/fuel mixture you must change your vacuum jet within your
NOS Kit, which regulates your fuel pressure. I can't tell you which jet you
should be using without seeing your air/fuel mixture on a Dyno.

I can tell you this, I am running a 100 horsepower application. This is
using a #47 jet it the nitrous nozzle, and I'm using a #55 jet in the vacuum
T. This gives me an air/fuel mixture of 10.5 and an additional 117
horsepower to the rear wheels on my 2000 Lightning.

I also have a Danny Swanson Flip Chip And a Pro-M 80 MM Mass Air.

This set up is very, very rich. Which is on the extremely safe side.

I could lean it out and bring the air/fuel mixture to 12.0-12.9 which would
give me about another 20-30 horsepower, but it is already making 465 HP to
the rear wheels. So I rather keep it rich and be safe.

Please remember this application is on my 2000 Lightning and every truck is
a little differant.

I'll asure you this will have you very close in your set-up to where you want to be!

It is also necessary to help the engine breath and exhale!

On the breathing aspect I have a Pro-M 80 MM Mass Air and K&N Filter where the engine can pull all the air it needs.

On the exhale aspect it would help tremendously to have a good exhaust
system.

All I did was remove the factory muffler(*Quote it Weighs 44 lbs)
And replaced it with 2, 40 series Flowmaster Mufflers.This lets the exhaust
flow freely out and releases hot air.

This I'm sure you would see a drop your under-hood ambient air Temp.

A Nitrous Oxide application increases cylinder pressure, which makes
horsepower. It also increases heat. That's why I personally feel you must
make the engine breath & exhale better.

If you are using an automatic transmission, there is an added on amount of
stress because of the extra horsepower. I changed my valve body within the
transmission, and put in a performance valve body, which makes the
transmission shift gears very positive. They don't slide or slip in to gear changes.

If anyone would like to send me your phone number(mjb1206@bellsouth.net), I'll be glad to call you and explain it better if needed.

Good Luck!

------------------
2000 Lightning, Chassis Tech Drop Kit, 80 mm Pro-M Mass Air, w/ K&N Filter, Danny Swanson Flip Chip, Flow Master 40 Series Exhaust, Billet Upper & Lower Grill, 100HP Nitrous Oxide NOS System. 12.533 @ 109.10 MPH
GO FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES

Old 07-10-2000, 09:15 PM
NOS ON A NEW LIGHTNING???? WHY??? YOU CANT FIX PERFECTION??The 99 and 00 lightnings are the baddest trucks on the planet why would anyone want to juice a perfect truck.???modifications??? yes butchering a 30,000 dollar perfect truck???i cant seem the figure that one out?? leave the truck alone. but some mustang and beat the crap out of that they made millions of them.

Old 07-10-2000, 11:24 PM
HANKFAN,
I've been running the bottle for almost a year now. I've emptied at least 30 bottles through my lightning with no ill effects.
If the jets are sized properly and the safeties are in place it is very hard to hurt anything with a 100 hp shot.
The modifications FSUFAN mentioned would be helpful but not necessary.
My truck actually went richer on the bottle. I've tested that on the dyno. When I use it at the track I'll usually run 104 unleaded race fuel haven't heard any spark knock.
What I've found is most people that are against Nitrous, don't understand how it works.

HIGH RISK

Quick Reply: Is It Safe To Run NOS On The New Lightning's?