Lightning

Muth Trun Signal Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2000, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Muth Trun Signal Install

Anybody using these on a 00? A search turned up a couple of installs on 99s but nothing on a 00. Comments, suggestions on installing would be helpful.

------------------
Rick - Hwy_2_L@HotMail.com
White 00 - Adopted May 3rd 00

* Valentine One with remote
* Superchip Flipchip CUX2R2
* Airaid Filter
* Hard Tonneau
* Bedrug
* Clear front corners
* Ultra Whites – top and bottom
Upcoming mods
* Window tint
* Sound system

Old 06-09-2000, 06:33 PM
Unhappy

Yes, I have these installed. What a pain in the butt. I will say I really like them and they are cool.

Ok, here are my observations:
1) The documentation for the mirrors deals with a different door panel removal procedure than ours. It is actually pretty easy to remove the door panel. Most of the plastic trim is either pull off or there is one or two screws holding it on. Once you get the trim off the next step is to get the mirror off, make sure that you have the windows in the down position so that you can reach through and support the mirror while you remove the bolt.
2) Getting the old mirrors off of the mounting points and not destroying the motors and nubs: Use a hair dryer to heat the space between the mirror and the attaching points (this was not in the instructions....only using the hair dryer to reinstall). The instructions show the use of a pry bar, yeah right, good luck at not mucking everything up. I couldn't figure out anyway other than controlled brute force for the snapping out of the little attaching ***** and the mirror actuators. Pay very close attention to the original setup of the attaching plate before you remove it.
3) Reinstalling was also a pain, you have to line up these little hooded actuator receptacles and fit the pins in as well as align these itty bitty plastic ***** into receivers...the hair drier helps here a lot.
4) The actual part of removing the mirrors from the truck and reinstalling is a piece of cake.

When you are done though it looks really cool and is a big help for the vehicles around you when you change lanes...

------------------
Silver 2000, Delivered, 2Mar00!
NLOC Member #344

[This message has been edited by bobb (edited 06-10-2000).]

Old 06-09-2000, 08:36 PM
Bobb - Thanks for the great information. Something told me this was not as easy as it seemed. I ordered mine eariler today. One more thing on your install, what about the wiring? Does it plug in behing the mirror or do you have to run the wire inside and hook into the turn signals?

------------------
Rick - Hwy_2_L@HotMail.com
White 00 - Adopted May 3rd 00

* Valentine One with remote
* Superchip Flipchip CUX2R2
* Airaid Filter
* Hard Tonneau
* Bedrug
* Clear front corners
* Ultra Whites – top and bottom
Upcoming mods
* Window tint
* Sound system

Old 06-09-2000, 09:50 PM
Old 06-10-2000, 12:40 AM
Cool

Rick,
The kit comes with preformed connectors for the part that fits in behind the mirrors. You then thread a couple of wires down to the existing connector for power mirror adjustment that is prewired (interesting...hmmmm) for use by the turn signal mirrors. This is pretty easy. This then plugs right into the existing connector in the door.

Be careful with the hair dryer, the cheesy (My favorite quote from the instructions: "Should a jackscrew or peg be broken during this process, replacements and instructions are available"...doesn't help much when your vehicle is in pieces in the driveway...) instructions talk to when the plastic gets shiny its too hot... I didn't use the hair dryer to remove the originals so I am not sure what it will do to the little plastic sheaths that cover the actuator pins...just be careful. It also helps to have a little flashlight to get a look at the insides as you work the mirrors to release them.

Just keep telling yourself how cool these will be when you are done. Good luck.

------------------
Silver 2000, Delivered, 2Mar00!
NLOC Member #344

Quick Reply: Muth Trun Signal Install