Lightning

increasing Transmission line pressure = bad news?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2000, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question increasing Transmission line pressure = bad news?

I was just wondering......when you increase the transmission line pressure like a lot of the aftermarker chips do, is this in any way bad for the tranny? I figure that it would put a lot of stress on the servo's etc...I have heard cases on both sides but I would really like to know from the real end of things, being here....from people who actually have chips in their trucks. Would a shift kit be better instead and just have the chip programmed for the fuel/spark?

If you have some info, please share it! I am finally buying a chip shortly and just wanted to know what my options were.

Thx a bunch!

Paul G.

Old 05-26-2000, 10:52 AM
Exclamation

Hey Paul!

Whether raising the line pressure via chip or shift kit (simply a mechanical means to the same end), the net result is the same. My tranny guy explained this to me, and I think I understand it well enough to relate it here.

Raising line pressure causes the shifts to occur quicker. Less time and slip=less heat and wear. Heat is the enemy at all times in an automatic transmission. The addition of a tranny cooler (or, in our case an upgrade) is the best thing to do to allow the tranny it's longest useful life. Eliminating the excess slippage (read friction) is the next best thing you can do.

I have been running Sal's chip (I know, I keep saying that, but it's a real improvement!) and the shifts are great. They aren't enough to snap your head back, but firm enough to really let you know where the power is.

I opted to go the chip method first for several reasons. My primary thought was that trannies are the most prone to failure item in most vehicles, therefore any mechanical changes would be be the most prone to causing warranty beefs. Conceded, the chip is also a source of potential issue, but there are measures that can be taken to minimize that.

Secondly, adjusting the firmness of the shifts is easily accomplished by adjusting the program in the chip. The mechanical method means tearing into the tranny to change springs, pistons, accumulators and possibly having to redrill (or replace) the valve body. Messy, time consuming, and inconvenient.

I am in no way saying that the shift kit method is bad, or wrong, just trying to explain my thinking in taking the approach that I did.

All of the above (except the first two paragraphs) are my opinions and we all know about opinions.

The Wyldman

[This message has been edited by Wyldman (edited 05-26-2000).]

Old 05-27-2000, 12:47 AM
Thx Chuck! I respect your opinion entirely. I just wasn't sure of the potential for more damage one way or the other. I have installed many shift kits in the past, though I didn't keep the vehicles long evough to determine the effects. However, judging by the number of us that have chips and thrash the bolts at the track and the apparent internal strength of this tranny....I probably shouldn't worry too much...

thx again!

Paul G.

Quick Reply: increasing Transmission line pressure = bad news?