Lightning

NITROUS

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2000, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NITROUS

WHY IS ADDING SOME SPRAY FROWNED ON? ONLY ONE ON THIS SITE HAS IT. WHAT IS THE PROS AND CONS OF IT?

Old 05-12-2000, 10:42 PM
A lot more than 1 have it. it is apparent that this site is viewed by people that can void your warrenty. nitrous will void the warrenty of every vehicle made, anywhere.

Old 05-13-2000, 12:48 AM
White '00,
I run a 100 horse shot. I've been doing it since last summer with no ill effects so far. I've probably pumped 15 or 20 ten pound bottles through the motor. This is just my opinion that if you install the throttle position switch and the fuel pressure switch and use it in moderation the motor can handle it. As far as warrenty goes I'm sure it does void it if they find out.

------------------
HIGH RISK

- '99 Black Lightning
- Superchip
- Pro-M 80mm M.A.F.
- Level 10 shift kit
- Level 10 Torque Con.
- 4.10 gear
- 2-10" rad.fans
- 3-6" I.C. fans
- Switch to run I.C. pump manually
- N.O.S. Dry shot (80hp)
-12.25 w/bottle
-12.61 w/o bottle
-26x11.5x16 M/T Street E.T.'s on 8" spare wheels
-Lightning Performance long tube headers
-Cats removed
-Sway bars removed
-C.E. Drag Shocks

Old 05-13-2000, 02:03 AM
There is nothing wrong with using nitrous oxide on any motor as long as the motor is in good running condition to start with. Nitrous oxide will amplify any problem your motor has really quick. The reason Nitrous is frowned upon by certain people is basically because they do not understand how it works. But they will turn around and be real skippy about supercharging and turbocharging. Its all basically the same ....forced induction. Nitrous is made up of 2 parts nitrogen and 1 part oxygen. The bond in this molecule cannot be broken unless in is heated to about 500+ DEGREES(COMBUSTION CHAMBER). Once it is sprayed into the motor along with the EXTRA FUEL the bond breaks and the oxygen is released as well as the nitrogen. Now Extra fuel has to be added to the mixture in order for this whole process to work. Without the extra fuel you would have a lean fuel mixture and will damage the motor. It is important to remember it is not the nitrous that creates the horsepower but the additional fuel that the nitrous lets you burn that makes the ponies! The additional oxygen that is released from the nitrous once broken helps burn the fuel at an explosive rate creating a higher cylinder pressure = horsepower. The nitrogen acts as a buffer and dampens the combustion process in a controlled rate. Most the guys here on this board that run nitrous are spraying between a 80 and 100 shot of nitrous. Just to give you an idea we spray about 100-120 hp into our 4 cylinder motorcycle motors with no ill effects if the tune is done correctly.
Sorry for the long babble but I hope this helps you understand somewhat how it works and its nothing to be afraid of as long as you understand the animal in the bottle.
regards,
sebastian www.nxtlevelracing.com

Old 05-13-2000, 04:31 AM
thanks for the detailed info. n2o boy where can i buy a l specific kit?

Old 05-13-2000, 09:39 AM
NOS will be coming out with a specific kit for the lightning soon. They are developing a chip that will provide the higher fuel pressure needed off the nitrous system. Or you can ask the other guys on this board on how they went about setting up the system. I believe they are using a #5115 kit. Ask the guys what parts they used..they will be more than happy to help another lightining member start sprayin !!
good luck ..let us know the results.

Quick Reply: NITROUS