Lightning

Quick question about chips.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2000, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Quick question about chips.

Is it the chips themselves that need a learning period, or the trucks computer? Thanks in advance.

------------------
Floyd91
Why do I do the things that I do? Because, The chicks dig it!
99.5 White lightning
#2349 Born on 6/14/99

Clear Corners
Clear Tail lights
APC Ultra White headlights
IPF Ultra White Driving lights
PSP Filter Kit
DJM 2" Drop Shackles

Old 04-11-2000, 10:09 PM
Floyd91,
It's the trucks computer that learns and adapts to your driving style and to the engines needs.

------------------
99 red lightning, bassani complete system
2-2000 arctic cat zr440 snopro's
2000 super duty v10
Arctic cat 400 4x4
99 chev c1500 pickup
2000 red Lightning on order 2-14-00

Old 04-11-2000, 10:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is the PCM itself that "learns". In the PCM, there are what's called "adaptive strategy" tables. These tables are constantly being upgraded. The term "learn" is very misunderstood. There is no learning "period". The PCM always is updating (unless I shut the adaptive off in the chip). For the technicaly curious here, this is how it works-- there are two fuel "trim" tables. The short fuel trim is constantly changing as you drive. It changes very often. If the short fuel trim is lean or rich for a long period of time, then it will adjust the long fuel trim to compensate. Example- if the truck is running lean for a long time, then the long trim will richen up to compensate. The long trim table can be considered the "base" fuel table that the PCM works off. What is programmed for air/fuel ratio in the chip (or in the stock PCM without a chip) still is based off the trim. That's why they say to reset the PCM before every dyno pass. This way you know it's doing exactly what you want it to do, and not working off an "adjusted" table. As you can see, the adaptive strategy has quite the effect on how the vehicle runs, and always changes. That's why sometimes you may have detonation, and sometime you may not. And now you know

------------------
SAL
13.209@104.3mph
Power Surge Performance 99 Lightning Chip and Filter Kit, full Bassani Exhaust, Nitto Extreme Drags
PowerSurgePerf@aol.com

Old 04-11-2000, 10:47 PM
Sal, this may be a stupid question but if the truck pings or clatters and if I were to dissconnect the battery and reset the computer would it stop pinging? I dont know if you got my e-mail yet, but my truck has stopped pinging. Also how long before pinging will cause damage to the motor. Please reply. Thanks!

Old 04-12-2000, 09:24 AM
Travis, I can't speak for Sal, but I can tell you that when the humidity goes down and the pressure goes up, the detonation WILL return. At least thats the only time mine pings.

Jerry

Quick Reply: Quick question about chips.