Lightning

billet grille install

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2000, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post billet grille install

I received my black powdercoated billet grilles today (ordered from Roger). I plan to install them when I get home from work tonight. Was wondering if any of you who have already done it could give me some tips.

Should I expect to run into any obstacles?

Do I need any special tools?

I remember something about modifications required to close the hood properly?

How long should I expect it to take me?

Thanks, I don't know how anyone could dis' this board, where else can one find such a wealth of info, on call, on something as specific as our Lightnings!

Mike

------------------
99.5 Black Lightning
PowerSurge Cone Filter
JBA Jet-Hot coated headers
Flowmaster muffler
So-Cal Lowering Kit; Cal-Tracs traction bars
Watter Wetter
Lo-Jack

Old 03-31-2000, 06:25 PM
I'm assuming these are complete grills or do you have to cut out the honeycomb mesh and install the billet piece.

Not sure what all is required to do this also I guess!

Old 03-31-2000, 06:28 PM
Cool

Good luck on your install, cause you are in for a a bit of trauma. Remove the grille surround, but leave the headlights in place. The parking lights need to come out though. Take the grill out of the surround. More force is required than you think. On my grille, I had to cut off the grill mounting tabs, so you can't reinstall the stock grill. The grill actually mounts to the radiator support structure, not the surround. You can mount it after reinstalling the surround. The lower grill is remove the old and install the new. Watch out for the sharp ends of the grill scratching the lower grill opening. Takes a couple of hours, most of it figuring out how to take off the grill surround. I did notice that because the grill doesn't tie the top of the surround to the bottom of the surround. This caused the top of the surround to move up closer to the hood. Don't know what to do about that yet.

------------------
99 White Lightning, Bedrug, Tint on all glass
Sheepskin seat covers
Sals PSP filter kit (wow)
Superwhite 100/85 lights

Old 03-31-2000, 06:31 PM
Good luck with the installation Mike, the billet grilles add a very cool look to these SVT`s. With that cool hood and cool grilles your truck should look awesome....

Spiro

Old 03-31-2000, 07:04 PM
https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/001439.html

plan on "several hours", pitch the supplied rivets and get some 3/16" x long rivets and rivet washers, you will need these to get a good bite on the plastic you are drilling. when you are finished, if your hood is hard to slam, removed the u-shaped hood catch on underside of hood and add 1/8" of washers to each screw, re-attach and it will close fine.

Quick Reply: billet grille install