Argh! Frustrating PC problem, any experts out there?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, the re-install didn't go so well...

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 -- Error 28111. SQL Server Setup cannot write system databases to C:\sql2000\MSSQL\Data\, because it contains files from a previous installation. To continue, move the databases from the specified folder, or specify a different installation folder. Then run SQL Server Setup again.
Try yanking it and blowing away the directories manually before attempting a re-install. Plus, are you trying to run the Desktop SQL Engine as well? Not sure those play well together...

The hunt continues...

Old 09-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Sweet mother of god you've got a bunch of junk on this poor machine... trying to run SQL, Web & mail servers!!

How many hard disks do you have? If the answer is only one, I assume you have multiple partitions? It appears you've got some disk write issues in the mix... though its been clean for a couple days. Might have just been some corrupt data...

EDIT: You've got mail!

Last edited by dzervit; 09-27-2006 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by webmaster
Hey All, I am hoping there are Windows XP experts out there that may be able to help suggest a next step or diagnostic tool.

For the past few days, I have been experiencing intermittent errors, primarily
"EAccessViolation" type errors, with random applications. Through Google'ing, I have not been able to come up with a concrete reason why they occur, so I have gone through the typical laundry list of what screws up Windows.

I've done several complete anti-virus scans (up to date Norton), adware scans (up to date Ad-Aware, Spybot & Ewido), thorough chkdsk's (four times, at least, including Norton Disk Doctor, which uses chkdsk for NTFS volumes anyway), disk diagnostics via Paragon's Partition Manager, and even booted up via the Windows Recovery console and ran all of the PC-Doctor diagnostics (memory, storage, 12 hours!) and nothing came up.

I've also run RegSeeker (registry cleaner) a dozen times and made sure I had the latest BIOS updates and system patches from IBM (it's a ThinkPad T41). It does have a new hard drive (Seagate 100gb, 7200rpm), which I put in about three weeks ago (and was functioning perfectly up until a couple days ago, so I don't think it is an actual failure of the drive)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do next? This problem has tied me up for several days now. Short of reinstalling Windows, where I can look next or what software can I try to detect a problem?
If you PM or post up the exact error message you have i'll run it against our database and see what comes back. I am a network Admin for 100+ employees and several thousand clients. I keep a constant database of errors we have seen and debugged. Error codes are great.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by dzervit
Yeah, the re-install didn't go so well...

Try yanking it and blowing away the directories manually before attempting a re-install. Plus, are you trying to run the Desktop SQL Engine as well? Not sure those play well together...

The hunt continues...
+1...I have seen similar problems with reinstalling eval versions of sql srvr

Old 09-27-2006, 04:20 PM
F150online
Founder
Hey All,

Regarding SQL Server 2000...since the install process was hanging during the point where it tried to start itself (and failed), I think it failed to complete the entire install process. Thus, the uninstaller failed to work. I removed all the known SQL 2000 directories, then ran RegSeeker to remove any references to the application.

BTW, my apologies for the delay. It's been a hellish week with these PC problems. Rather than eating healthy for lunch, like I planned (I've lost about 50 lbs this year), I decided to have nachos, a reuben and several beers...

Thanks again for everyone's help with this.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Be on your best behavior guys, we've got a snookered webmaster this afternoon...

Old 09-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Angry

Employ the KISS principle(Keep it simple stupid). Boot to safe mode(press F8 when booting.You will have a basic system running.Check your logs for any events or problems.Clean out all temp/log files/cookies/strange process running.
Uninstall/install any apps you are concerned about.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Really Old "Member"
Why don't you do what I do, Epps.
Just buy a new computer.
Bill

Old 09-28-2006, 05:38 PM
My bet is its related to the SQL

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=44747

Old 09-28-2006, 05:40 PM
We are all too late. Steve-o snapped and reformated...

Quick Reply: Argh! Frustrating PC problem, any experts out there?