2008 F250 Superduty Crewcab Sirius OEM Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2008 F250 Superduty Crewcab Sirius OEM Install

Hey all,
Just wanted to add some info since I could not find anything in the forums on 2008 installs for OEM Sirius Radio.

Setup: Bought my 2008 Screw with the 6 disk CD changer in one unit.. it had the AUX button but not sirius radio. It also has the aux mini plug in the dash that lets you plug in an MP3 player.

I found a unit on Ebay. Said it was 2008 compatible.. mentioned the serial number had an "8" in it to denote the correct year. Got it for less than $80 shipped from canada.. not bad.

Research: Read all the forums here and other truck boards.. nothing specifically for the 2008 though.. lots of information most of it conflicting or confusing. Found a couple posts that mentioned that a harness was needed and could be ordered from ford. (my Ford store had NO idea and wanted $300 for the entire kit). Another post mentioned that the harness was part of the existing radio headunit harness and you could find or fish out the plug from the mess in back of the headunit when removed. This may be true of earlier year models but not the 2008's. Finally found a link to install the Ipod adapter into the 2008's http://www.brandmotion.com/manuals/F...ation_2008.pdf This shows the removal instructions for the Headunit and also the Removal of the Steering column surround where the OEM Sirius satellite unit can be found!.

Install:removed the Steering wheel lower surround. it just pops out.. no tools needed. The Sirius Plug can be found in the back left as you look through the opening once the panel is pulled out. It is plugged into a "holding spot" to keep it from dangling. Just pulled it out and plugged it into the sirius unit I purchased. Temporarily ran the antennae through the window to check it out..Worked perfectly the first time. Pressed Aux button on the radio and it now has Sat1, Sat2, and Sat3 as options to cycle through. Everything sounded great and I am assuming the 6month free subscription is activated..
--------Not sure when the 6months begin? anyone have a clue? ---------

I secured the unit with Zip ties to a couple mounting holes up underneath with the plug facing forward since I am planning on adding the Ipod module soon also(the one from the link) and wanted it to be easy.

I ran the antennae which came from a portable unit I had in my previous vehicle up the window weatherstripping on the drivers side and mounted on the roof between front and back doors. Popped out the grommet at the door hinge and ran the cable inside and it plugged right in to the unit. didnt have to take off the units plastic antenna plug.. just pushed it on hard. replaced grommit and wound up extra cable and zip tied it up underneath dash also.

I have read from some of the other posts that the antenna can be mounted under the windsheild cowling. I checked the drivers side and not alot of room there.. havent checked passengers.. and to be honest. not sure how the reception would be..I am planning on trying it tommorrow since the stealthiness would be a plus. (was excited to try it out and it was starting to get cold outside and didnt want to work on snaking the cable underneath the dash and out the other side to mount under the passenger cowling).

I'll add to the post when I find out if the other cowling works well enough.

Couple questions for anyone who has the info.
1. When you pop out the cigarette ligher panel there is another plug there unused.. any idea what it is for? I already have the 4 aux switches option and the aux brakes. not sure what other option I am missing?

2. There is another plug that comes off the wiring harness behind the head unit. its temp mounted on the metal bar to the back left of the head unit area. Wondering what this is for? Amp? Nav?

Thanks and sorry to be so long winded.. but I looked hard for this info and I hope it will save alot of people the same time and effort. (now I'm working on finding a sub box for my Screw. Been talking to probox and they are working on a prototype right now.)

Old 02-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by gpimlott
Couple questions for anyone who has the info.
1. When you pop out the cigarette ligher panel there is another plug there unused.. any idea what it is for? I already have the 4 aux switches option and the aux brakes. not sure what other option I am missing?
If you are talking about the power outlet (cigarette lighter) on the right, I would bet it is for the switch that turns the airbag off. I have only seen pictures of any 2008s that actually have it though, all the ones I have seen in person just have the power outlet (cigarette lighter). I just popped mine off and I have the plug that just goes in a blank spot on the back by the power outlet surround, so I guess that is where you are talking about too.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:40 AM

On my F-350 that plug is used for the 'power pedals' option.

2. There is another plug that comes off the wiring harness behind the head unit. its temp mounted on the metal bar to the back left of the head unit area. Wondering what this is for? Amp? Nav?
My F-350 has the Amp, so I'm not sure on yours.....however, the Nav antenna wire runs out to the left side metal bar, is clipped on there, then continues on to the antenna.

Quick Reply: 2008 F250 Superduty Crewcab Sirius OEM Install