Total newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Total newbie question

Ok, after getting completely fed up with the crappy radio stations around here, I decided to spring for a satellite radio. I'm not really sure what's the best route to take as far as getting one, though. I have a 2005 F150 STX with the built-in 6 CD changer. I don't have the built-in jack that the newer models have (not as far as I can tell, anyway) so I don't even know how well I could do a plug-and-play unit. I'm not opposed to swapping out the dash unit, as the CD player has given me trouble in the past and I only listen to 1 CD at a time anyway (yeah, I didn't really need to drop the extra $$ for the upgrade package when I bought it). Any advice or suggestions on what I can do here? Thanks in advance!

Old 01-25-2008, 09:26 AM
As far as I can see, sounds like you want a new head unit anyways, good idea, and I think you can do more with that. Others here have told me to get an IP Bus hookup, see thread a few down on the Sirius FM adapter, added to a Sportster 4 or 5, Starmate 4 or whatever. You can get from Pioneer for example a box that controlls Sirius or XM through the head unit, but then it's a fixed in one car unit. I'm not huge on wiring or electronics but I got a pretty simple setup and it works great:

Pioneer DEH-P6600- a couple years old now
Installation kit for above radio in my 2000 f-150
Sirius Starmate 4 unit
Sirius FM direct adapter

Others can hook you up with all kinds of extra info or better ways to go, but search a bit and look on peoples installations etc.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:39 PM
DRJ
Are you looking to get Sirius or XM?

Old 02-08-2008, 07:45 AM
The factory setup for Sirius satellite radio is a separate component from the head unit. The Sirius receiver mounts below the head unit and plugs into it via a cable.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try a plug and play model. they have a built in fm transmitter that only requires you to tune the xm or sirus to the radio station in your truck (ie: truck 88.1 xm 88.1) should work on anything that has a 12volt dc plug. the plug and play models are simple and don't require any wiring. the only thing you have to do is find a spot for you antenna, then hide and route the wire back to the plug and play device. you can get one for about $45 at walmart. the other nice thing about the plug and play is you can easily move it from one vehicle to the other.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:16 AM
I have a sirius satelite radio unit the only complaint i have is i have to constintly change the stations so i bought an FM transmitter that is wired directly to the antenna plug in on the back of the headunit. However im not shure how to get to the back of the radio, I now you have to take off the molding around the head unit but the bottom does not want to come off. If anyone can help me out let me know....Personally i would go with sirius ive heard bad things about xm units....

Old 02-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Get a PIE adapter, a pro.fit VSM mount and a plug and play unit. Press the AUX button and enjoy. PIE makes adapters tat also convert the voltage so no need for a lighter adapter.

Quick Reply: Total newbie question