Pre-1997 Models

Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 10:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transmission issues

My 95 has 5.0 and 4r70w, it would occasionally slip when shifting. I drained the pan, the torque converter and replaced the filter. Filled with new fluid (no additives) and test drive had no issues. Parked the truck for a month, now won't shift at all. Engine idles up but doesn't engage into reverse or drive. Any ideas other than a rebuild? I would rather convert to manual than rebuild the auto. Thanks.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:37 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Drop the pan again, I bet the filter is sitting in the bottom of the pan. This happens when you don't dig out the old o-ring when you change the filter.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Drop the pan again, I bet the filter is sitting in the bottom of the pan. This happens when you don't dig out the old o-ring when you change the filter.
I dug out the old one, it was very stiff. I put a bottle of Lucas Transmission fix in today and cycled the gears. It actually started shifting into gears. Will try and drive it tomorrow.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:43 PM
The drive this afternoon went well enough...I made it back home. Engine seems to idle a bit high and I had to feather the throttle to get it to shift. I only made it to 3rd gear being in residential area. I think I might have a leak.

Quick Reply: Transmission issues