Pre-1997 Models

Renewel of 4.9 XL advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renewel of 4.9 XL advice needed.

I am going to need to start driving for my work 5-6 times a year 550 miles each way between KY. to N.C. My 160,000 mile 4.9 liter 2 wheel drive XL has been rock solid for the past 15 years and I want to keep it that way.

I have replaced the pickup module at the timing gear twice over the years and did a transmission rebuild 11 years ago. Any advice to replace things that could cause problems on long haul trips would be much appreciated.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:52 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Nothing really specific, just keep up with all normal preventive maintenance - specifically fluids and ignition parts. It may be worth it for you to take it to a good shop or Ford dealer and have a comprehensive inspection of the whole vehicle done - front end, brakes, stuff like that. It may be complimentary or low cost if you bring it in and pay them to do an oil change and lube job, possibly combined with a tire rotation.

Long haul trips are actually easier on a vehicle than stop and go driving in the city.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:59 PM
Thanks GLC.
What would constitute a major tune up? can anyone list parts?

I have some time and a warm garage this winter and would enjoy doing the work meself.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:42 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
A major tuneup would be plugs, wires, cap, rotor, maybe a coil, PCV valve, and fuel filter. Techron in the gas, change all fluids - oil, trans, diff, maybe power steering and brake fluid. Flush the coolant, inspect and replace if necessary the drive belts, thermostat, and hoses.

I would still have the suspension, brakes, steering, wheel bearings, driveshaft/U-joints, exhaust, and a general underneath inspection done in a shop with the proper equipment and tools - I doubt you have a lift in your garage!

Old 02-18-2015, 09:29 PM
A lift ? I wish.

Thanks again. I'm going to start shopping parts and get an inspection.

Quick Reply: Renewel of 4.9 XL advice needed.