Pre-1997 Models

91 FrankenFord might've blown up

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 FrankenFord might've blown up

In a pinch here folks. Bought my third F150 today and let's just say someone got creative. 91 2wd swb Lariat, 302 from who knows what, and a T5 from a 97 mustang.. Yeah. Well, on the way home the upper radiator hose blew off spewing steam out the hood and while pulling to the side of the interstate the motor quit. Reconnected the hose and couldn't get the truck to start back up (which is a pretty ghetto task in it's own, connecting the two points on the solenoid). It did turn over, even fired for a minute

Long story short I'm not sure where to start looking here. Not sure why the hose would go and then the motor quit immediately afterwards. Planned on checking the oil for coolant in the morning, then digging into the heads. Any help would be appreciated

Old 12-13-2014, 12:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume when the hose blew off it spewed coolant all over the top of the engine also. Something may have just got wet and is causing the engine to quit and then not start. If the engine didn't get badly overheated, it shouldn't have any further major damage, from the condition you bought it in. Yes I know you have to figure it out to get it restarted.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:08 AM

I promise I'm trying to help, but given your description of the truck, it doesn't sound like it's worth putting any considerable money into, but putting some elbow grease into it is certainly fine.

Maybe the plugs got wet?

Last edited by KMAC0694; 12-13-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:43 AM
Yeah it's rough, just needed a truck to move my bike. Not looking to invest much in it, just stumped as to why it died out as the coolant blowing out sprayed towards the passenger side. Distributor cap and wires didn't seem to get sprayed. Just figured somebody might have a better idea of where to start looking. Hopefully I figure something out and the old girl does what I need it to do

Old 12-13-2014, 01:44 PM

Sorry I'm not of more help, but my mechanical knowledge is limited. Not sure what it could be. I'd say it was a sensor, but I don't know what's going on with the wiring in that truck or what electronic equipment it has and doesn't have.

Me and a buddy put a new water pump on his 2000 5.3 GMC 1500 last week, which drained all the coolant. Put new coolant in, started it up, it bogged down a few times, then shut off. We gave it a minute, cranked it back up, and it's never had a problem since. I don't know if air got in somewhere, and/or it was a sensor or what. Sometimes they're just goofy. I think you'd be surprised where fluids can get while spraying all over the place and the air from driving moving it around. Given what happened, my uneducated guess is that something got wet.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Did hose burst or just come off? Did it have a pinch type clamp or screw clamp? Its possible for the thermostat to stick and pressure to build but not enough unless clamp was loose on rad hose.
Anyways does the distributor have a TFI module?

Quick Reply: 91 FrankenFord might've blown up