Pre-1997 Models

Boat Anchor!? Hope not; '91 4.9 Wants to start but.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boat Anchor!? Hope not; '91 4.9 Wants to start but.....

So my brother's co-worker has this '91 F-150 w/ 160k on the clock.
He replaced cap, rotor, wires, plugs, module and rear fuel pump (he only always used rear tank) as well as the fuel filter. He did all this as the beast used to run great then he felt it had a starving for fuel issue/spark problem. After all this he said
** expletive deleted **, your brother likes junk: he can buy this one!

After pouring over lots of threads I started at the most expensive item, the eec. Pulled it and there were the notorious 3 leaking capacitors. Took it to a PC tech buddy and aced it up for a sixer! Reinstalled it and attempted to start, wah, wahhhh, wahhhhhh.......
It will start like a champ and within seconds die. Pump priming is audible for 2 seconds.
KOEO code is 126 MAP
So I'm going to start with checking the connections for corrosion and try cleaning them.
As I'm a cheap ****, I might just throw a new MAP non motorcraft on it, probably by BWD.

Is there anything else I should check while I'm at it?
The truck is unmolested and original, decently kept condition. No obvious hacks on wiring etc.
Thanks for your Help!!
W.

Last edited by aRustyPatina; 11-04-2014 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Forgot fuel filter!
Old 11-04-2014, 10:19 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
If you have a MAP code, replace it!

Old 11-04-2014, 12:22 PM
It's Alive.....kinda noisy top end......

Originally Posted by glc
If you have a MAP code, replace it!
Thanks!! Worked like a Charm!

Runs pretty smooth after sitting for a year. Has a sound that seems like I've heard before on other straight sixes. Top end and similar to an exhaust leak but there isn't an exhaust leak. Maybe needs valve adjustment?

Also has "ABS Rear" light on dash......what fun!!
W.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:21 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Nonadjustable hydraulic lifters. Could be a weak/sticky lifter, worn cam lobe, damaged pushrod, or damaged rocker arm.

Pull the rocker cover and take a look around, if it's sludged up clean it up the best you can and change the oil and filter.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Thanks GLC! I'll give that a shot!!

Originally Posted by glc
Nonadjustable hydraulic lifters. Could be a weak/sticky lifter, worn cam lobe, damaged pushrod, or damaged rocker arm.

Pull the rocker cover and take a look around, if it's sludged up clean it up the best you can and change the oil and filter.
Haven't looked closely at it, looks like the intake has to come off to get in there. I'll save that for next week. I'll post what I find. Cross your fingers, lol!!

Thanks again.
W.

Quick Reply: Boat Anchor!? Hope not; '91 4.9 Wants to start but.....