Pre-1997 Models

questions about f150

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 01:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
questions about f150

hi if this is the wrong section please excuse me since im new to the forum.

today i bought my first f150.. its a 1988 302 v8 with a 3 speed overdrive Xlt model..

it was relatively cheap and so far im very happy with it but since im quite new to this truck (and trucks in general) i was hoping i could get some answers for my questions.

it has 2 gas tanks, but only the rear one works at the moment, the front one needs a new fuel pump. anyways the gas guage was very low when i got it so i threw in 20 bucks to get it home and the meter shot way past full. it's still like that and i got a good 30 miles on it. does the guage only account for the front tank? when i switch the switch to the front tank, the guage does go down to where it's supposed to.

my second and last question was an electrical one; my low beams dont work, only my high beams. the lights on the roof and rear lights all work but not the low beams. i haven't checked any fuses, but besides that, is there any possibilities it could be something else?

thanks everyone

Old 08-28-2014, 05:28 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Each tank has a separate fuel pump in the tank along with a fuel gauge sending unit.It will look like this

I STRONGLY suggest staying with a Motorcraft part. Y ou can buy cheaper parts but you'll be dropping the gas tank sooner too and buying another one.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:24 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Not quite like that in 88 since it uses low pressure in tank pumps, fuel tank selector valve, and a frame mounted high pressure pump.

Usually the sender is bad, or the wiring to the gauge is shorted at the tank connection. The fuel tank switch selects which pump is powered, and which sender displays the fuel level.

I find it easier to pull the bed than try to drop a rusty tank and mounts.

Check out Steve's fuel system picture album to see how it all works together.

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742/66025

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742/77131

You'll most likely have a bad headlight switch, and/or connector, or the fuse link for the headlight circuit at the fender mounted starter relay is blown. Do you have a multimeter?

Adrianspeeder

Old 08-29-2014, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
Not quite like that in 88 since it uses low pressure in tank pumps, fuel tank selector valve, and a frame mounted high pressure pump.

Usually the sender is bad, or the wiring to the gauge is shorted at the tank connection. The fuel tank switch selects which pump is powered, and which sender displays the fuel level.

I find it easier to pull the bed than try to drop a rusty tank and mounts.

Check out Steve's fuel system picture album to see how it all works together.

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742/66025

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742/77131

You'll most likely have a bad headlight switch, and/or connector, or the fuse link for the headlight circuit at the fender mounted starter relay is blown. Do you have a multimeter?

Adrianspeeder
Thanks for the replies everyone ..
I tried finding that fuse under my steering wheel but the headlight wasn't labelled on there .. Only turning, rear, brake, reverse and exterior lights. Is there a second fuse box?
Edit nvm I should have paid attention to what you said.. I'll check after work

Old 09-19-2014, 06:51 PM
2004 F150 Supercrew

Lost power to backup lights and all trailer tow package. Help

Quick Reply: questions about f150