Pre-1997 Models

85 ecm r&r

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 ecm r&r

I have an '85 5.0 XLT Lariat automatic..

Did multiple searches, I have FSM;s and still can't find the information I need.

I am going through the truck and verifying all of the sensors and making sure everything is to spec.

I am an electronic technician and intend to check the electrolytic capacitors in my ECM. Therein lies the problem.

My ECM is loose in the retaining bracket, but something is preventing it from releasing and being removed. My FSM's pictorals do not show enough detail to determine what is holding it. Is there a release I am not spotting from looking up from the floorboard?

I want to make sure before I start tearing the dash apart that I am getting to it the right way.

The 85 and 86's, as compared to the later years have the ECM above and to the right of the accelerator. I have seen people indicate it is in the kick panel, but that is 87 and above.

It looks like you might be able to get to it from the top by removing the dash pad or alternately removing the instrument cluster cover, below the column cover, and maybe the radio and other misc covers.

If any of you with 85's and 86's have removed the ECM, what is the best bet?

Any information appreciated!

Tnx Fred in Mesquite, TX

Old 05-28-2014, 10:10 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
About the only help I can give you is the 86 Lariat I had was in the kick panel. There are some that have it on the fender well. I had about 80,000 miles on that puppy and loved it but it died in the middle of 5 o'clock traffic in San Antonio. I sent it to friends garage that I went to school with and he had an ex Ford Regional service tech working for him. The guy claimed that while the PCM had died, I had major other issues- sensors that were factory installed that weren't even for the F Series. They were going to do a full replacement but the numbers on the PCM didn't match anything in Oasis and the factory was clueless about the numbers as well. They patched it back together and it went straight to the dealer for a trade in. It was my first pieced together Ford truck. Very similar to the pieced together Thunderbird my sister had. It even came from the factory with Pinto shocks on it. Her Bird was a POS from day one. Can't say I've had bad one since.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:04 PM
I would think an electronic tech could do the monkey work

Old 05-29-2014, 06:05 PM
Any other time it would be some e is equal to I times r ****

Quick Reply: 85 ecm r&r