Pre-1997 Models

94 5spd Trans Leak.. Simple question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 5spd Trans Leak.. Simple question

I recently noticed that my transmission is leaking and have decided to stop driving it until I can get it fixed since the fluid comes out at a pretty good rate after getting warm. I've figured out the area where the leak originates and I'm assuming there's a busted seal in the area, but I'm not sure what the area is actually called, or what the seal would be called.

I don't have the time or tools to replace whatever is leaking, but I'd like to have an idea what I'm talking about so I can call around and get some quotes. Would anyone be able to help? This is 94 4.9L 5SPD (M5OD I believe).

This is rear of transmission before driveshaft. It's leaking where the 2 plates (for lack of better words) are bolted together. I'm guessing there's a seal between the 2 plates that has went bad:

94 5spd Trans Leak.. Simple question-alzmnla.jpg

Took me a while of cleaning and then driving to figure out where it was. As you can see it's seeping out of the middle once fluid is warm
94 5spd Trans Leak.. Simple question-0blm70b.jpg

Best picture I could get of rear of the plates. You can see the gear shift in front.
94 5spd Trans Leak.. Simple question-sxa0luh.jpg

Old 03-11-2014, 10:33 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
If you have wrenches, see if the bolts are loose. That's the gasket between the transmission and the tailshaft extension housing.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by glc
If you have wrenches, see if the bolts are loose. That's the gasket between the transmission and the tailshaft extension housing.
Awesome! I do have some basic tools like wrenches for normal maintenance. Will definitely give them a whirl and see if tightening them up fixes the issue. If not, at least I have a little better idea what to talk about/look for now that I know what it's called.

Thanks!

Old 03-18-2014, 08:24 PM
I monkeyed with the bolts and they were as tight as they are possibly going to get with hand tools. I haven't been able to find the name of the actual gasket that goes in that section. Would you possibly know or be able to link me? I've read conflicting stories that there's a factory gasket and/or RTV only.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:17 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
From what I can find, use black RTV, the factory gasket is thin paper.

Quick Reply: 94 5spd Trans Leak.. Simple question