Pre-1997 Models

want a little more

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
want a little more

Hey guys
I recently picked up a 1990 F150 2wd with the 302 efi and 4eod transmission in it.
I'm looking for more get up and go off the line, wondering what I should be considering for parts first?
So far its got a set of hooker headers, dual exhaust, a k&n cold air kit, throttle body spacer, think its a 70mm throttle body, new injectors and fuel rails (slightly bigger than stock acording to the guy i boughts it off) and I recently switched over to an electric fan
I've been shopping for a while now and am kind of stuck as to where to go next.. been looking at under-drive pulley sets, electric water pump maybe a shift kit and a tuner
any thoughts on weather these parts are worth it or should I consider something else?, I don't really want to tear the top end apart just yet, maybe in a year or two, it was just rebuilt 90,000km ago
from what I've read the intake and spacer were all together useless as far as any real gains but they came with the truck so its a wash
I'd like to avoid any money sucking time vampire kinda parts that gain me little or nothing, that being said I don't mind investing the time and money if it will stage me better for further upgrades down the line or provide a noticeable gain up front.
My intentions for this truck are too bomb around in the summer and pull my old boat occasionally
Any advice is welcome, if you need any info or photos just ask
Thanks
Rick

Old 11-05-2013, 12:14 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Time to regear. Throw the TB spacer away.

I don't think you can get a programmer for EEC4, you would have to find someone still selling chips.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:31 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Ditch the cold air garbage too.

What is the axle code on the door jam sticker?

Adrianspeeder

Old 11-07-2013, 08:05 PM
i think jet still makes chips right? next dont get underdrive pulleys i hate those things my engine builder put them on my truck but i took them off and sold them totally not worth it. for the trans if i were you id get on from paul aka the punisher E4OD youll be chriping the tires in all gears! and get the biggest stacked plate trans cooler you can get. pauls emal is lightning2fast@aol.com real nice guy too. his trans goes up 100 bucks each year so right now until january his price is $2600 shipped to your door with the return off the core/old trans. now if you think your trans is still in good shape you can order his "street" valve body $215 no need for a shift kit. your truck probably has 3:55 gears so a 3:73 gear swap would make a difference in off the line but you lose top end speed.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:18 PM
under drive pulleys aren't worth the bang for the buck there more for higher revving engines, don't need bigger injectors unless you have the cam to handle them, try a timing bump from 10* stock to 12* maybe 14* as long as it doesn't ping, gears will help.