Pre-1997 Models

'96 drive shaft oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 12:31 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
'96 drive shaft oil leak?

today after fueling up I noticed the movement in what felt like the front driver side wheel engage kind of funny as I put the truck into drive and started out of the parking lot.

here are some pics I took. that darker brown on the drive shaft that isn't clean and silver......is it coming loose? Hope someone can give me an idea of what this problem is. I've never done a major repair on any vehicle in my life and may need some further help if someone thinks I can attempt this alone. Or, I will take it to a shop but i'm on a fixed income right now of only 731.00. Anyone think they want to take a stab at what might be the problem here and how much should I pay to have it repaired?

The only spot that seems have an oil leak is right at the shaft hub or rubber "bushing, gasket" sleeve? This truck by the way is lifted with 35s. and was professionally done. I just bought it about 3 weeks ago. been running great until this. As you can see, oil is being sprayed around pretty good. I added 4 pics. if they don't appear here check my album. thanks much

Name:  P1000988.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  114.4 KB

Name:  P1000986.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  108.3 KB

Name:  P1000984.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  99.4 KB

Last edited by grizzeyes; 09-15-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:23 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Looks to me like the driveshaft needs to be lengthened. Whoever did the lift didn't finish the job.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:40 PM
well ok, that's just great! can you tell me who could or who should I be taking this to, to finish the job? I suppose anyone can eventually get a sticker and place it on the visor, but the guy who sold it to me had no receipts of the lift. When i first got the truck, i stopped off at a auto parts store to get a spot mirror and the guy at the counter came out to look at my truck and said the lift was done right and commented on how they did it. That was before I had the leak and noise problem. So, whatever...

How much am I looking at $$ How in the heck do you lengthen a driveshaft? find one at a wrecking yard? measure from where to where?
The company sticker says "superlift suspension systems"

like I said, anyone can find a sticker somehow and peel the back side off and stick it to a visor. I'm not questioning the lift. it looks great. But maybe they didn't have the money for the longer driveshaft.

what's my risk of continuing to drive this on short 1/4 mile trips or less around the small town I live in? will I drop the shaft on the street?

Old 09-16-2013, 07:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After I did my lift, this happened to my rig,too. Drive shaft is pulled out of transmission tailshaft because of the extra distance from tailshaft to rear end. You still have a bit of yoke left inside the trans., but I wouldn't go off roading, or do any burn outs, until you can get it fixed. You need a driveline shop, which can add some length, mine needed an inch or so.(it was a while ago) You can have your stock one lengthened but I got a whole new driveshaft for a few hundred, so I'm guessing the cost for you would be alot less. Find a shop, and they will tell you how to measure the length you will need.

Truck does look pretty sharp. For $3500, I think you did great. Now you can start to customize it

Last edited by sledman62; 09-16-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
normal with lifts. just check the mercon atf in the t-case till you find a welder to cut/extend the driveshaft a few inches, and balance it.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:29 AM
ha, customize it? heck what u mean? what more could I do?

well, guess what? I have a drive line guy coming to look at it on tue. But earlier on Monday, I took it to a shop and yes, the gear case was bone dry so they filled it up. They looked underneath and said I needed it lenghtend but they dont' do that work in the small town I live in.

so another mechanic came out and met me on the river where I was parked and his trained eye noticed that the darn transmission bracket had broke and the transfer case or transmission has shifted over to one side and it's what causing the leak.

he explain that if the sleeve was damaged it would be pouring out oil but so far it's not. He's ordered the Tranny mount bracket and Tue evening he's coming over to lift the tranny and set it down in the correct spot. Chain it down and then when I get paid on the 3rd he'll finish it.

He told me that he really thinks that caused my problem with the drive shaft moving. It was moved some 7" or maybe less. he didn't say but showed me. I sure hope once he sets it right, that my problem will be solved but i'll know more tue. I posted some more pics under suspension...pics of the lift kit equipment. has 2 and 4" blocks.

Quick Reply: '96 drive shaft oil leak?