Pre-1997 Models

Speedometer Calibration Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedometer Calibration Problem

Hello All,

First post here since joining the forums. However, I have been using the forum for help for about a year before I joined. Glad to finally be a member!

Anyway, I have a 1994 Ford F150 XL 4.9 5-speed with about 177k. I bought it about a year ago. It came with 32x11.50x15 BFGs. The speedometer/odometer is off (.9 on odometer equals 1 mile). With that said, I have become very familiar with the following article and Youtube video:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...ND_BRONCO.html

As per the article, I start having problems when I get to the following steps:

• Press and release RESET button again and PSOM conversion constant (without the decimal point) followed by the word CAL.
• Press and release the odometer SELECT button as many times as necessary to change conversion constant to the correct value.

Whenever I get to the second step, I am unable to change the conversion constant by pressing the “Select” button. I have tried several times and it just remains at “972CAL.” When I started this process, I remembered to check to see how many change opportunities I had left. At the beginning of the process, the odometer reads “E 08 6.” Doesn't that mean I have 6 speedometer change opportunities left? I am using an alligator clamp wire to connect the Circuit #567 (LB/Y) to the frame for grounding. What else could I be missing here?

I have tried searching the forums for this issue, but I have not found a solution. If I have missed it, my apologies!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Old 07-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got it!

Thanks for the link.

When I first tried to do this job, the PSOM was not properly grounded. I tried a different alligator clip wire for grounding and I was able to change the conversion constant right away. After I made the changes, I did a road test and the speedometer displayed the correct speed. Problem Solved!

Quick Reply: Speedometer Calibration Problem