Pre-1997 Models

Pulsing idle 90 F150 4.9

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulsing idle 90 F150 4.9

Hello, this isn't a question, but an answer. I'd been having the aforementioned idle problem for a few months now. Stopped at a light, brakes on, head lights on, vent heater on, and the idle would pulse. 7 seconds normal, than 3 seconds of low rpm's, low voltage, close to stalling. Was driving me nuts because it would idle normal with no electrical load. Replaced my ground cable from the batt to the frame to the starter. Replaced the positive to solenoid. Checked a crap load of connecters. (Thought it had to be electrical, since it was so regular.) Finally move onto the IAC and TP. No luck. Finally, in a last ditch effort, I start spraying the engine with brake cleaner. The engine revs high when I hit the throttle body. Pulled it off today, the top portion of the gasket had actually slumped down into the throttle body. Lots of brown goop all over the inside of the TB, and where the gasket failed. Everything is cleaned now, and reinstalled, and the test drive seemed to go pretty well. Huge difference in the way the motor runs, I guess the ECM has to relearn how to drive now. So hopefully, when the next poor schmuck like myself goes to the world wide internets typing in symptoms, they'll get this post instead of the same description of problems with no resolution, like I got. My Google-Fu must be weak. :o Thanks for reading, Peace, Dave.

Quick Reply: Pulsing idle 90 F150 4.9