Pre-1997 Models

My 4.9 turns over but won't start !

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 4.9 turns over but won't start !

I know this has been covered a hundred times but nothing relevant turned up when I did a search .
My truck sat for a very long time, I decided to put it back on the road.
When I took it for an inspection sticker it developed a hesitation that got progressively worse. Seemed like a clogged fuel filter. I had to pump the gas very quickly to keep the rpms up, otherwise it had no power.
I got it home and changed the fuel filter, added some SEA FOAM, and fresh high octane gas.
It still would not start. I can hear the fuel pump running when I turn on the key. I then pulled the air intake hose and squirted some gas into the intake. It still did not hit at all.
My frend told me I had an ignition problem. I pulled the distributor and replaced the ignition module. It still does not hit at all.
Next I plan to pull a plug and ground it to see if the plugs are firing.
Any ideas ?

1994 300 6 cyl.

Last edited by gdzero; 02-20-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Fuel, spark and compression is all required. Something is missing. Checking the spark is a good start also fuel delivery is what I'd check next.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks Razar.
I just ran down to Advance Auto and bought some starting fluid but it didn't do any good.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possibly the coil or the ignition module on the driver's side fenderwell. Beings you have a complete no start condition, you can probably have these tested. I would try the coil first. Also make sure you are getting power to atleast one of the small wire connections on the coil with the ignition switch TURNED ON.

Quick Reply: My 4.9 turns over but won't start !