Pre-1997 Models

Awesome Junkyard Find

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome Junkyard Find

Hey everyone,
Recently I put E-fans on my truck, and I needed some relays to do it. On top of that, my fog lights needed some relays as well. I didn't like the look of project boxes from Radioshack, and aftermarket relay boxes were just expensive. After looking around, I found that an early 90s Thunderbirds has EXACTLY what I want, along with a 175 AMP megafuse for my 3g. This was a huge plus because I was confused over what fuse can be used where, and what was overkill for my ALT. This box actually came off the same car as my injectors and 3g ALT(which is why it has the 175 amp fuse), lol. It also has 18 spots for fuses, one of which was already wired into a relay, and 16 of which receive 12v from the Battery post on the 175 amp fuse. This is yet another AWESOME feature, because you don't have to run these wires, all I have to do in the future (since I'm not using all 18 right now) is put a fuse in, and splice whatever needs 12v onto the wire. Presto, a strong, fused, connection.
A Windstar has a similar box, but without the fuse, the metal mount is what came in handy. I had to cut a mounting tab off for the T-bird box to fit, and bend it a little here and there. For now I have it clamped next to the battery and one bolt in the fender. This was the more frustrating part of the project, I'm still not happy with the way it's mounted, but it'll do until I think of something better.
As far as any results, my fogs are WAY brighter, and my idle voltage with the fans on low, headlights on, stereo going, blower on full, and fogs on is 14.36v, so I'm happy; especially because I have an Autozone Red top...it was a gift when I got stranded with my 6 year old Sears battery... Oh yea...the box was $10, when it was FULL of fuses and relays.
Here's a picture of the bottom side, you can see the main 12v rail (shiny) in the middle. You can also see the different gauge wires coming out for the fuses, and the Megafuse on top of it all.

In this pic you can see all the fuses and relays it holds. I think I ended up using 3 or 4 fuses, but I wanted to get as many as I could from the Junkyard.

Last edited by booba5185; 02-10-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Awesome Junkyard Find