Pre-1997 Models

96 4.6l won't crank!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 96 4.6l won't crank!

I a problem on a 96 150 with 4.6 L six cyc, auto. Engine turns over fine, fuel pump running, can smell gas from exhaust, check fuel manifold schrader valve, gas squirts out. Don't have pressure gauge. Sounds like no fire! Checked all fuses, even under hood, Replaced 2 blown fuses (small ones, 5 amp & 2.5 amp) in COntrol Box under hood. Seemed like it wanted to crank then, but after that nothing.
all others OK, got to be a MODULE, sensor or relay gone bad somewhere. Truck was running fine when I parked it. Been sittin a week. Tried to clean crankshaft position sensor (CPS) but can't find it. Cam Position Sensor is hard to reach, going to check to see if it still has magnetism. Bought a Equus / Innova 3100 code reader to check codes, but check engine light is not on. Please Help STRANDED!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:24 PM
I think you mean 4.9 litre; the 4.6 is a mod motor V-8.
There is no separate crankshaft of cam position sensor on a 96 4.9. The PIP (Profile Ignition Pickup) sensor inside the distributor gives crank position indirectly by reading distributor position.

Pull the codes even if you have no MIL light showing.
Check to see if the distributor is turning when you crank the engine
If it is check to see if you have spark at the plugs.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What were those blown fuses for? Look up their positions in the owner's manual. If you don't have one, download it free from Ford or use this:

This details the way the ignition system works, and contains more links in its caption:

This will help you ID the parts you're looking at:

This caption decodes the VIN sticker:

Old 01-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks, finally pulled the distributor cap, rotor was completly fired! Melted, inside of cap was black. This is the third rotor & dist. cap I've had to put on this truck in 10K miles. Wpnder what's causing it? Coil shooting too much juice?

Old 01-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds more like cheap parts. What brand are you buying, and from where? I recommend MotorCraft, Echlin, or Standard from Ford, NAPA, CarQuest, Parts+Plus, or RockAuto.com .

Old 01-26-2011, 04:23 AM
I've had this problem before, although it wasn't on a ford. The problem ended up being the distributor shaft bearings were bad and causing the shaft to heat up, which resulted in the rotor melting. You might want to pull the distributor and spin it by hand just to see if it's smooth or not.

Quick Reply: 96 4.6l won't crank!