Pre-1997 Models

Rebuilt the carb...now its running like crap

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilt the carb...now its running like crap

I rebuilt the carb last night,not that the rebuild kit really came with anything other than the gaskets and new ball, needle and spring. Anyway. there was so much crap in the carb, i was all excited to get it back on, and it runs now worse than it did. I didnt change anything, all i did was replace and clean parts. so now i have it back off, i was looking at a diagam that steve83 has on his site, and for the feedback style carb i noticed there are not any of the little rubber seals/lifter link. on the non feedback style it shows them. Am i safely assuming that whoever rebuilt this before put extras in? there was even a plastic washer in the diaphragm pump assy, and an actual gasket between pump housing assy and the diaphragm. At one point last night, maybe this will be usefull, i went to take off and all of a sudden it ran better than ever before. i barely had to press on the pedal, there was no resistance on it, and when i mashed it, that old I6 Scooted. Then it stopped after i shut it back off. Is that something electronic? WTF over? Clean 2 tablespoons of gunk out, and now its running worse, lol?

Old 12-27-2010, 02:13 PM
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Two things that always happen with that carb....The lower baseplate will loosen up, and the accelerator pump diaphram will blow. The loose base plate will cause a vacuum leak, and the diaphram will cause it to run really rich. If you can back the adjuster screw all the way out at idle and it still runs, the diaphram is bad. To check the baseplate, just twist the carb with it bolted on and see if it moves.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:43 PM
cool, i'll try that too. I did take it back apart and removedwhatever didnt seem to need to be in there, and i couldnt for the life of me get the metering rod adjustment right....seemed like the parts were for something else but worked.....i shaved some crap, removed the seals, still couldnt get the metering rod to touch all the way into the jet, but its running a lot better. So much better, that now i know i can mash it and my clutch slips, lol. never fails right? fix one thing and then the rest goes. I think now i need to try to adjust the valve clearance. Any helpful guidance there?

Old 12-29-2010, 12:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think the valve clearance is adjustable, other than getting different length push rods. What makes you think you need to adjust the valve clearance?

Old 12-30-2010, 09:54 PM
No, they arent adjustable, haha....i wish i would have read this before i ripped everything apart. Heres my biggest problem with the way its running, 10.58 MPG! I do all thiswork and think its running better, but now its getting worse mileage. Almost 30 cent a mile. Engine feels strong. No, i havent done a compression test, i need to, i know. But its just not running good, i think a lot has to do with the timing and carb. I just re-timed it today so hope i see at least 13 mpg in the next couple of days. guess if it gets worse i'll pull the carb off and check the diaphragm too.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt the carb...now its running like crap