Pre-1997 Models

95 coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 coolant leak

pressurized the system and the top corner of the plastic tank is leaking where it is crimped on the radiator .
The problem is the coolant is puddling up on top of both corners of the water pump . I have pulled and replaced all the gaskets and plates between the pump and the block . replaced the old crusty thermostat gasket . none of the small hoses around this area seem to be leaking .
The gauge hardly reaches 7-8 lbs because of the tank leak . It does not appear that the coolant is coming from the side of the tank and blowing back on the water pump . The area around the tank is / has been dry .
Does the radiator have to be placed or can it be fixed ? It appears that the leak must be after the thermostat opens ? What is the next step ?
Thanks

Last edited by rigid1; 11-26-2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: updated
Old 11-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Replace the radiator. Call around to find someone who offers a LLT warranty, like O'Reilly, Advance, CarQuest... Stay out of the zone.

Don't worry about the small leak until you fix the big one.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:40 PM
updated leak problem

The leak is between the timing cover and the block . I have everything off and the timing cover unbolted . The problem is removing the balancer . It does not appear that the lisle puller that I use on a sm block chevy will work here . It feels like the end of the crank has no room for the button of the puller to apply pressure without damaging the end of the thead .
The slots on the puller I have do not really line up well with the 4 bolt holes on the balancer ( where the pully bolts ) . What kind of puller do I need to be using ? I am afraid of screwing up the end of the crank .

Old 11-27-2010, 03:14 PM
got it ! coolant leak fixed . 3 gaskets for coolant to flow though and behind the timing cover ???
Ford had a better idea!! They just didn't use it here .

Now on to trying to find the oil gusher coming off the back of the motor .
Don't even know where to begin and how to reach anything it is so crowded . The old girl has got 230,000 so its done pretty well .

Quick Reply: 95 coolant leak