Pre-1997 Models

Starting to run out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting to run out of ideas

Still been doing alot of work on the truck, and for the rust bucket it is, i have 100% trust that every time that key is turned it starts and runs well. But, there is a little stagger, almsot feels like a miss, but i dont think it is. when im driving, once i get to speed it runs good, but when i come to stop it takes about 45 seconds for the rpms to drop, and last night i floored the accelerator in fourth at 55 and it took a few seconds before the needle even started moving. I'm feeling like the timing, or distributer advance, or even that little plastic "mas" on the passenger side front under the hood might be the culprit. Any help with this?

Old 11-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's really confusing... Runs well, staggers, miss, not a miss, runs good...

What exactly is the problem? Poor return-to-idle?
Check the floormat, throttle pedal arm, throttle cable, throttle plate/shaft for binding.

It doesn't matter what the sensors tell the computer - the engine can't run fast without air, and that's controlled entirely mechanically. The only computer control is the IDLE air, but it's VERY small, and it's virtually inactive if the pedal isn't fully released.

What is "mas"?

Quick Reply: Starting to run out of ideas