Pre-1997 Models

What should my fuel pressure be?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should my fuel pressure be?

96, 5.8, 2-wd, 140k, dual tanks. Pulled codes, lean on bank 1 and 2. Fuel pressure reading 30#s KOEO and while idling. Gauge still the same 30 minutes later. Rear tank pump has not worked for some time, I just use the front tank. Starting to have a real drivability issue now.Idles fairly smooth, but misses under acceleration. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter last year. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Read this caption & the links in it:

What did you set the plug gaps to? Did you route the plug wires exactly as shown here?

Is the air filter installed correctly? Is the MAF clean? If not, ONLY use special MAF cleaner - nothing else. I recommend CRC brand.

Is the PCV system working?

Use a 3' section of garden hose or a mechanic's stethoscope to listen for vacuum leaks around the intake with the engine idling. The most common location is where the #52 arrow is pointing in this diagram:

Still idling, stuff a rag or 3 into the tailpipe and listen for puffing & hissing forward of the muffler(s). It's common for the R exhaust manifold to crack or warp. If someone put gaskets on, remove them, as these pics show:

Old 11-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the links Steve83!! Due to my work schedule I have not been able to do anything yet. Hopefully this Monday evening I will have a few hours to check the plugs and wire routing. Do you still check PVC valves by shaking them and listen for a rattle? I have owned this truck since it was brand new, so no gaskets if they did not come from the factory. Again thanks for the response! I will post my findings with more questions I'm sure.

Quick Reply: What should my fuel pressure be?