Pre-1997 Models

Just joined the club 92 F150

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just joined the club 92 F150

Hello,

Just bought a 92 F-150 5.0 long bed with dual tanks yesterday. 113k and in very good shape. I just needed something to make runs for Home improvement projects since I just bought a house as well. I'd like to make this thing last as long as possible and do all maintenance and repairs myself. I'd like to learn to be a little more self sufficient in that way. Goal is to never have to take it to a mechanic.

I just wanted to get any suggestions you may have. This thing has been sitting under some old ladies carport for the last 2-1/2 years and in that timeframe she only put 2k on the speedo based upon the oil change sticker.

What types of things should I and should I not do? I think I figured out the check engine light was due to the larger tank being topped off and causing the charcoal canister to flood (correct me if I'm wrong). It looks like I have a drip from one of the seals between the tranny and engine. I'm guessing it dried up a little from sitting, researching additives to hopefully get me along until I get brave enough to drop the transmission. Plan on throwing in some fuel injector cleaner next time I get gas. Change the oil/filter. Check the air filter.

What else am I missing? Any suggestions on something that might delay the severity of the oil drip? Any suggestions on special tools I should keep my eyes open for deals? I've got my basics. Maybe a diagnostic reader?

Anyways, hope I'll be able to contribute some experiences to the forum as I mature with this truck.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:23 AM
Well, the oil pan gasket is the most likely source for the oil leak. A competent mechanic can change this in an hour. The gasket is a one piece design which can be changed in the truck without jacking the engine. I do suggest getting the replacement gasket from the dealer due to the updated design which is superior to the stock gasket.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by bigbronc
Well, the oil pan gasket is the most likely source for the oil leak. A competent mechanic can change this in an hour. The gasket is a one piece design which can be changed in the truck without jacking the engine. I do suggest getting the replacement gasket from the dealer due to the updated design which is superior to the stock gasket.
Oil pan gasket would be awesome. I was thinking main seal. I'll get a better look after it warms up a little and some sunlight in the evening.

Quick Reply: Just joined the club 92 F150