Pre-1997 Models

'76 rear axle leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'76 F-150 2wd rear axle leak

Hey all, new member. I hope every one is doing well.

I have an issue with a real wheel seal leaking diff. fluid. I few years back it started leaking and I had it changed out. Due to some other issues, the truck was pretty much parked for about a year. I would drive it a mile or two every other month or so but it never leaked during those runs. Recently I finally got it fully up and running. It was fine for a day or two, but then it failed pretty bad and started pouring fluid. I know it's not brake fluid, they are fine. The smell and where it was pouring from makes that pretty certain.

I was wondering if maybe I was unlucky enough to get a bad seal, install, or if something could have caused it to fail. I was hoping someone might have some experience in this area.

Last edited by balaso; 01-19-2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: clearer thread title
Old 01-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Check and make sure the vent hose is not plugged with dirt.
If the vent is plugged and it gets hot the oil will come out somewhere.

Can you give us a little more information.
What model truck do you have (F-150, 250, 350)?
Do you know what model axle you have (9", 60 or 70)?
Is it a 4X4?

If it is a F150 I will then guess it is a 9" rear end.
If 9" you will just have to pull the axle again, cut the bearing off (or press it off) and press on a new seal, bearing and retainer if the vent is not plugged.
You may want to change oil in the rear end as it may have some grit in it.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Hey there, thanks for the reply. Yes, it is a f150 and I meant to put that in the thread title but forgot. I will edit it.

Yes, what you suggested doing is the exact procedure I had done a while back. My question is should I just do it again and hope for the best, or is there possibly something causing the seal to fail I should be looking for?

Old 01-19-2009, 02:23 PM
I still do not know what rear end you have.
Did you check the vent hose?
If it is a 9" maybe some one messed it up when they assembled it or pressed it on.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:51 AM
Figured I would just post a follow up. Took a while before I was able to work on the truck again. Finally got to it this week. Turns out I have a heavy duty type diff. that requires a one piece bearing. What had been installed was the standard two piece one. This caused the seal not to function correctly. Installed correct bearing, good to go.

Also, the vent hose WAS clogged. I cleaned it out and it should all be good to go now. Subford, thank you for posting up here and getting me on track and helping me catch something I would probably have missed. Thanks!

Quick Reply: '76 rear axle leak