Pre-1997 Models

Stalling after warm up

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stalling after warm up

I have a stalling problem once the truck has warmed up. The truck runs great at a cold start after cleaning the throttle body and upper intake manifold but now I have this issue on re-start. The IAC checks out but the TPS seems to be suspect. I'm having a hard time running the OHM test that Chilton spells out. Any thoughts? There doesn't appear to be any type of vacuum leak either.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Sounds like you have a bad ECT sensor.

As far at the TPS sensor goes the best way to test it is to put the truck in the Continuous Monitor Diagnostic Test Mode (DTM). Then shake the wires to it, move its plug and move the throttle slowly up and down and then fast with the engine not running. If the CEL (MIL) comes on you have a fault and whatever you were doing (playing with) at the time is the bad item.

Last edited by subford; 10-29-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:08 PM
The engine coolant temperature sensor is something I can check out but I'm afraid I've not heard of the Continuous Monitor Diagnostic Test Mode (DTM). Would you please elaborate for a novice?

Old 11-01-2008, 05:20 AM
Originally Posted by mtcox
The engine coolant temperature sensor is something I can check out but I'm afraid I've not heard of the Continuous Monitor Diagnostic Test Mode (DTM). Would you please elaborate for a novice?
Continuous Monitor Diagnostic Test Mode (Wiggle Test)

Special Note:

The technician can ATTEMPT to re-create and detect an intermittent fault using the Continuous Monitor DTM (Wiggle Test) procedures.

Key On Engine Off Wiggle Test Procedure

1. Hook up a VOM or you can look at the CEL (MIL).
2. Turn the ignition key to the ON position.
3. For VOM or CEL (MIL), activate, deactivate and reactivate Self-Test to enter Continuous Monitor Diagnostic Test Mode (DTM).
4. Tap, move, and wiggle the suspect sensor and/or harness. When a fault is detected, a Continuous Memory DTC will be stored in memory and indicated as follows:

Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL): Lights
or
VOM: Needle Sweep

Engine Running Wiggle Test Procedure

Special Note:

The Engine Running Wiggle Test may be activated any time the engine is running.

1. Hook up VOM or look at the CEL (MIL).
2. Key off.
3. Start the engine.
4. For VOM or CEL (MIL), activate Self-Test, deactivate and reactivate Self-Test to enter Engine Running Continuous Monitor DTM. DO NOT shut the engine off.
5. Tap, move, and wiggle the suspect sensor and/or harness or drive the vehicle. When a fault is detected, a Continuous Memory DTC will be stored in memory and indicated as follows:

Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL): Lights
VOM: Needle Sweep

Quick Reply: Stalling after warm up