Pre-1997 Models

Tune-Up ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Tune-Up ?

I have a 1990 Ford F-150 with a 5.0 i was wondering what all i should do for my tune up has never had a major tune-up before what should i do i want to put a few perfoemance parts on it like just simple bolt on's help i really need to know what i should do this is my first truck and i love this truck never had problems with it it is a great truck

Old 10-14-2008, 12:10 AM
You should find out how much a dealer would charge you for a major tune up and to give you a list of all that's included in the service and then decide if you would rather do it your self.

Since you have never done any major maintenance and you have a 18 yr old truck i would really go with the dealer, they just might find something else that may be needed.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:35 AM
Lightbulb reply

Originally Posted by 1990fordrunner
I have a 1990 Ford F-150 with a 5.0 i was wondering what all i should do for my tune up has never had a major tune-up before what should i do i want to put a few perfoemance parts on it like just simple bolt on's help i really need to know what i should do this is my first truck and i love this truck never had problems with it it is a great truck
What is mileage 4x4 or 4x2 ?
before investing in bolt ons make sure the rest of the truck is mechanically sound then mod away
then start with the tune up
if you are mechanically inclined tune up wise:
-Spark plugs
-Spark plug wires
-Distributor cap & rotor
-Air filter
-Fuel filter
-Pcv valve
-inspect throttle-body for oily build up and clean as required
if you are not comfortable doin it yourself take to dealer it basically will be same list.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:46 AM
the mileage is about 130,000 4x2 mechanically sound i dont know what you mean there but i keep my oil changed and my plugs changed i havent dont the distributor and wires yet but it really needs done keep the air filter chenged havent ever done the fuel filter and what is a PCV Valve what is the best way to clean my throttle body i have plenty of time to do all of these things and what are some things that can help with my gas mileage what about the tranny filter would you change that i know its a mess ive done it on a ford thunderbird and nissan sentra

Quick Reply: Tune-Up ?