Pre-1997 Models

Fixing or Hiding rust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixing or Hiding rust?

Well guys, I've decided to tackle this project. To hide the rust over my rear wheelwells.

I was looking at Fender Flares, but don't think I can bug large enough ones to hide EVERYTHING.

So, what would you do.

We do NOT have a spot welder, to weld in replacement panels. I really don't know what the best idea is.

We were thinking a lot of fiberglass and bondo.

Can you still buy paint for this truck? On the Window Sticker it says "Electric Red"

Here's the worst of the rust.

Here's what the truck looks like now...

Old 09-07-2008, 11:12 PM
I like what you've done since you got it,looks good!I just got an 87 that has rust in the same place and I'm stuck with the same decision.Mines 2WD and I've thought about just cutting the factory type flare(if thats what you want to call it)since I plan on lowering it and using some big fat wheel and tire combo back there.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:24 PM
yep, you should be able to match it with the paint code and duplicolor. Thats the same color I had on my 94 ranger.

I have some rust on my rear fenders too, I think I'm going to get some flares soon. They are pricey, but I don't want to do a crapload of bodywork either.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:51 PM
rusty wheelwells

i just had a bit and did a ****ty touch up on it with bondo, it was only abotu 4x2 inches, next time ill use fiberglass resin and fiberglass filler . from what i hear this stays put way better than bondo and is way cheaper than weld...

Old 09-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Stuffing it with bondo and painting is just a cover-up. It may "fix" it for now, but in 6 months or less you'll start to see it rusting away from the bondo, in which case you have to do it again. If that's fine for you then whatever, it's not a huge job and lasts for a few months.

Really the only solution is to cut out the affected area, with a generous amount of space around the visible rust, and cut a new piece of sheet metal to fit, spot it in, and then finish. Since you don't have a welder I realize that's kinda hard, I have the same problem on my truck but the rust is considerably bigger, and starting to hit the front wheelwheels as well.

I wouldn't worry a ton about it. I've had my truck for about 2 years and the rust has maybe advanced 1/2 inch up from when I got it. Unless you plan to hold onto this truck forever it realistically isn't worth the expense to really fix.

Just my $0.02

Quick Reply: Fixing or Hiding rust?