Pre-1997 Models

downgrading from 2 fuel tanks 2 one

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
downgrading from 2 fuel tanks 2 one

I have a 89 F150 with a 4.9 engine. I've dealt with fuel coming out of second tank, replacing pumps, valve selector, and right now i'm switching between two tanks because valve selector must be bad again. At 190.00 i'm thinking I don't need really need a second tank. Can i take the second tank to the scrap yard and replace the selector valve with some inline connectors so i don't have to use two tanks? Is there a kit for this? Anyone with experience doing this? Or is this a bad idea? I've read some things on the forum about fixing problem with fuel leaking leaking into second tank and installing check valves, ford dealer is vague with his answer about fixing this. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:13 AM
Well yes you can go to a salvage yard and get a fuel reservoir off a Bronco/Bronco II or F/E-series that had only one tank and the fuel pump on the frame. Just replace yours with it and select the tank you will use on the dash and your done.

However you will still need the pump to be OK in the tank and on the frame that you will be using.
A bad pump in the tank is more than likely your problem now or wiring to it. So you will have to use the tank that the pump is still working in it.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:02 PM
all you have to do is set the switch to whatever tank you want. and on the tank your taking out, just cut the fuel lines that you need by the tank, and use a piece of fuel hose to make a little u to connect them so theres no leak and it'll be just fine. just dont forget that you got rid of the second tank when you fill up.

Last edited by Matts ford; 08-13-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:05 PM
aT the selector valve there are 4 connections, two small ones and 2 larger ones. These are for the two tanks. I think the two top ones are a pair. I left them connected and then took some tubing and made my u connection on the lower two connections. I covered the ends of the gas lines in case i want to hook them back up. Is this all OK? Going on a 500 mile trip this weekend with this so we'll see.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:51 AM
I think i'm talking to myself here, but in case someone is interested. I hooked up a hose and made the U connection as "Matts ford" suggested. While driving something pop and the truck died. After a little while it started back up. While on my trip my sister wanted to fill up my tanks so i crawled back under and hooked up the rear tank and what do you know, my problem with gas leaking into second is gone. I'm guessing when i heard the pop something in the valve freed loose. So my problem for now is fixed.

Quick Reply: downgrading from 2 fuel tanks 2 one