Pre-1997 Models

where to look for a wiring diagram?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to look for a wiring diagram?

Ok I've got a 1979 F150 Ranger, it's old and blue. Love it to death. We started having issues with the dash, like the gas guage not actually registering what was in the tank, the turn signals, and then the dash lights stopped working. So we did a lot of replacing, battery, alternator, starter, starter solenoid. Now we're done to the actual dash. My hubby, god bless his little heart, went out and got a new dash from a 78. Great I'm thinking. But the plug is larger then the old dash. So I pulled out the following two manuals a Haynes and a chilton's for my truck that we have. They both have wiring diagrams for both the 78 and 79 F series trucks. One problem though after comparing wiring diagrams between both for the 78 truck I find they are inconsistent with each other, on will give colors of the wires which don't even match what was on the pin, the other give the colors that are correct and some of the pin Numbers to the actual plug but not all the plug pins are actually on the diagram (looked at all 8 pages). So my question to you guys is where should I go to find a descent wiring diagram for this truck? Any suggestions would really help. I'm up for websites, books, any thing at this point.

Thanks Heidi B.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Hmmm, Haynes matched up pretty good when I was doin' the wirin' on my '79.

For dash lights I'd be looking at the headlight switch for corrosion on the dimmer reostat.

For the fuel gauge I'd bet a doughnut on the senders in the tank being junk, or like the front tank on my Mello, the wire not even hooked up on the tank.

What don't the turn signals do?

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: where to look for a wiring diagram?