Pre-1997 Models

93 F150 will Not Start if I touch the throttle????

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 F150 will Not Start if I touch the throttle????

My son just bougth a great looking and running 93 F150 XLT....really a great truck.

The crazy thing is that if you touchthe throttle, even just bump it, the silly thing will not start....we have to let it set for about 15 minutes and then it fires right up.

Any other time if strats right up, as long as the gas pedal is not touched...

The previous owner said that there was a control module changed a while back and ever since then it has been acting this way...

The check engine light comes on at random times, and I wonder if these are related...

Anyone have any experiences like this??? Makes me crazy...

Thanks in advance

Dave

Old 04-07-2008, 01:03 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Well, you are not *supposed* to touch the throttle when you start it, but this is not normal. The engine codes need to be read out - you are pre-OBD2 so Autozone can't do it. I believe there is a way it can be done with a paperclip in the diag connector, or you can try to find an old Ford-specific EECx code reader.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most auto parts stores will sell you a fairly crude OBD-I code reader for about $40. You plug it into the diagnostic connector, turn the key on, and count how many times the LED blinks, then you look the code up in the book that comes with it.

The other option would be to buy a Haynes Automotive Computer Codes manual for ~$15, and check the code manually. It tells you what terminals to jump with a paperclip or piece of wire, then you count how many times the CEL blinks.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:12 PM
dont go through that trouble.. the check engine light is on becuase the sensor is messed up, this happened to me. it should be a 5 prong or 6 prong depending on which model you have, make sure that all of the holes have the wire prongs in them. sometimes their might be a defect and you might want to pick up a new one at your auto parts store

Old 04-07-2008, 05:17 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
WHAT sensor, Buzz? The truck has quite a few............

Now - why do you think Ford installed a "check engine" light and documented a means to read it out? So you can USE it to troubleshoot, not make wild *** guesses and throw random parts at it. It's hardly "trouble" to do the readout procedure. You have absolutely no way to prove what happened to you is the exact same issue here.

I would not have chewed on you if you had IDENTIFIED the sensor you are talking about, but your statement the way you typed it is less than helpful.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:51 PM
talking about the X306W sensor on his model truck.... check the wire also and the connection to the fuse module it might be loose or messed up.

Quick Reply: 93 F150 will Not Start if I touch the throttle????