Pre-1997 Models

'95 F-150 I6, tuning the computer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 F-150 I6, tuning the computer?

I was curious if anybody has any idea what hardware and software is required to tune the computer in the '95 model trucks? When my engine eventually gives up the ghost (maybe in another 120k miles) I think I would like to rebuild it for a little more power. I'm thinking a cam, headers, etc. Being a speed density system, I know that some tuning would be required to get everything right again.

I've had a lot of experience tuning with similar vintage GM cars, my heavily modified Corvette included. For these I use TunerCAT and a Pocket Programmer to flash a new EPROM. Is there similar software for the Ford products? I'm sure there is plenty of stuff out there for tuning Mustangs, but it seems like the I6 would use a different computer, or be a little more obscure at least.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-19-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm not sure if there is anything in terms of support for the I6. Some of the 302 trucks could use modified Mustang programming and the twEECer software, but only certain codes and certain options were avaiable to them even.

Short of getting one of the aftermarket guys to do a tune, it might be hard to find any way to take the DIY route. And actually if you find a good tuner it will probably be a time saver in the long run. Excpet for vehicles with a large user and support base, most people spend WAY too much time trying to get everything right. I know years ago on one of the twEECer forums a whole bunch of guys admitted that for the time they spent in search of the perfect tune, they could have made enough money to get one of the aftermarket guys to do it, and then some.

I don't think the user base is nearly as large as those using the TunerCat stuff, so you're almost on your own even within supported systems.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:54 PM
That's what I was afraid of, there seems to be little in the way of EFI for these engines. I just like the driveability and fuel economy of a properly tuned fuel injection setup.

Not having seen the twEECer software, makes it hard for me to say for sure, but tuning things isn't usually as hard as people make it out to be. I think what gets a lot of people is that they want to make a bunch of un-educated guesses and they make too many changes at once. Before long they're not even sure what they started with and have it so messed up it will hardly run at all.

I usually start with a stock program, adjusted for simple things like injector and cylinder volumes. That will typically be close enough to let it at least start. From there you just data log and tweak. It takes a while, but not a terribly long time as long as you're willing to work with it. Once you've got the start, idle, and driveability working pretty well, then you can concentrate on wide open throttle tuning.

What is a problem is when people think that they can tune for max power without the aide of a controlled environment like a dyno and a wideband O2 sensor, or when people think they can tune for driveability on a simple inertia dyno like a dynojet.

Oh well, thanks for the input. I'll keep researching.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:06 PM
The twEECer stuff isn't that bad, and I agree that most bad tunes are the result of people looking for instant making potions in the way of tunes. I messed with it some with a friend who had a Mustang, but in the case of the 5.0 Mustangs they were trying to improve the huge base of already existing tunes out there. Even in the case of those, they only had support for a limited number of codes.

Being the stuff supported limited uses, it just wasn't all that cost effective anyway, more of a DIY thing.

I know Troyer did custom tunes for the I6, and there used to be a couple forums around that supported them too. I think most people just use them as workhorses and don't worry much about seeking further potential, so this affects the support products.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't mind if nobody else had done any tuning for the same mods, I would gladly start with the base tune and make my own changes. Unfortunately, getting that baseline program, and your tuning software to understand it is the problem.

Tunercat uses TDF files that are updated constantly as more and more of the original code is figured out.

Tweecer doesn't look like it supports the I6 computer, and even if it did, I imagine it would be very limited just because of the lack of interest. In a case like this it almost makes me wish the truck was MAF instead of speed density. They have the ability to tune themselves to a large degree, at least the GM ones do.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:30 PM
MAF is great, but there are some good sources for the MAP trucks too. I agree it bites that you can't do much with the DIY route unless you start from scatch, but at least there is some support.

You might want to check some of the older posts here, and check out the NLOC forums for the 1st gen Lightning stuff. Between Troyer and a few others they have done just about every build known to man and would have a good baseline starting point to work from. Granted it wouldn't be nearly as cheap as doing it yourself, but in the long run probably cheaper than the mass air conversion and required hardware/software, even if you were willing to find your own baseline and go from there.

Quick Reply: '95 F-150 I6, tuning the computer?