Pre-1997 Models

new guy looking to OVERHAUL 85 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new guy looking to OVERHAUL 85 4x4

i have had a 85 short box single cab, 302 (auto trans) since i was 16 now i have the cash i would like to start rebuilding but i dont know where to start? the engine is old and not dependable, i dont know if i should send it out for a rebuild or purchase a rebuilt engine and swap. if any one could give me some prices or suggestions i would really appreciate it. im a young guy with not alot of expirience but am excited to get started! your adevice is very valuable to me and every little comment helps

Old 01-27-2008, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're seriously looking to get your hands dirty with the thing, and the motor is on it's way out, you should consider a 351 swap. It's an easy change and you'll pick up a lot of oomph. Cruise junkyards to find one, you'll buy a complete 351 with all the trimmings for a lot less than a send-out rebuild or a reman swap. Junkyard prices of course vary widely depending on the mood of the owner, but figure a couple hundred for the complete motor. A reman long-block would run somewhere in the $1000 range. Figure in another few hundred if you're going to have somebody else do the swap.

Obviously, I'd start with the motor. Having the truck reliable would seem to be paramount. Once that's set you can go about fixing up the interior or rusty body panels or installing a stereo or whatever.

What's exactly wrong with the motor? Doesn't start, hard to start, runs poorly, what? How many miles? Often times even seemingly major issues can be cured easily and for not a lot of cash, or with a good old-fashioned tune up. Everyone is here to help, and there hasn't been a problem yet somebody here couldn't figure out.

When was the last time ALL the oils were changed? Tranny, t-case, axles, P/S? The tranny and power steering slowly lose performance over time with old, spent fluids, but it's so gradual you never notice. Then when you change it out, the tranny shifts smoother and faster, the wheel is easier to turn and makes less noise, and 4wd is easier to engage. Gotta start somewhere.

What actually needs to be overhauled, as in, what doesn't work well? Junkyards can be your best friend for these trucks, they're absolutely everywhere making parts easy to find.

Quick Reply: new guy looking to OVERHAUL 85 4x4