Pre-1997 Models

Manual Hubs Clicking sound?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual Hubs Clicking sound?

Searched, found a fair bit about the hubs...and Steve's photos. Nothing on this question.

When I lock the hubs on my '92 F150 4x4 I get a clicking sound coming from the left front hub. It's evident under braking, turning, as well as braking and turning. The sound seems to come only when the hubs are locked and the transfer case is in 2wd. In 4wd, at least under power, there is no sound when going straight or turning.

I'll double check that in a few minutes as we're heading up the mtn. Basically I use my truck for shuttling mountain bikes. I'll lock the hubs in my driveway, drive about 2km to the forest access road and switch the transfer case into 4wd there.

Clicking sounds are new as of this weekend, only owned the truck for two weeks.

Thoughts? Suggestions? etc.

-Dave

Old 01-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Suggest to verify that the hub is locked in fully. Next thought is a failing axle u-joint on that side.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:05 PM
I was experiencing the same issues, and still am I guess. I was thinking it was a failing U-joint, and even still think that to some degree. Though I called the dealership and they said it was normal for that to occur when the front hubs are locked and in 2wd so I left it be for now. Perhaps they were just giving me an answer to get to another customer but I figured it might be right. Good to hear other opinions though.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:31 AM
Well, thanks to an ejected brake pad and subsequent demo'd caliper, I had the 'opportunity' to check out the hub/u-joint this morning. Looks like the U-Joint is going.

-D

Quick Reply: Manual Hubs Clicking sound?