Pre-1997 Models

86 F-150 emissions question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 F-150 emissions question

86 F-150 5.0 engine. On the back of the heads, the metal line comes off and runs up to a check valve, then to the smog pump. My check valve has broken off, a common problem I am sure on these older trucks. Anyways, is there any way of taking off those lines from the heads and installing a plug? My truck doesnt need emissions testing anyways so its no big deal. I currently have the transmission out of it, replacing the clutch and flywheel, so now would be a perfect time to get to that line and do what needs to be done.

Thanks

Old 01-20-2008, 09:55 AM
It is a common mod for people who remove the smog pump to remove the pipe and check valve and plug the ports in the heads. I would say going to your local autp parts store and getting a new $10 check valve and putting everything back on would be a better option though. No harm in running a little cleaner, even if you dont have to.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Your right, wouldnt hurt to run a bit cleaner even if not neccesary. But now that I have the tranny out and can actually see the check valve, it looks like the threads are pretty much rusted up from the heat. I am concerned that if I try to replace the valve, it will end up ruining the tube, in which case I will end up needing a new tube assy and a new valve. I can go ahead and try to take off the valve and see what happens but if it ends up damaging that, it would be easier to just plug the heads. Are the holes in the heads threaded? I see that they are held on by a bolt, but its offset from the hole and I dont know if the hole for the tube is threaded or if I need to get a different type plug. I will soak the valve and try to get it off with no damage. At least with the tranny out I can apply some heat to it if needed to get it off.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:44 PM
You should be able to remove the check valve without damaging the pipe. It is a pretty big nut that holds it on. The new valve will come with a new nut attached.

I would be willing to bet that even if you messed up the pipe, you could get a new pipe and valve for under $50.

IIRC, the ports in the heads are not threaded.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:25 AM
The ports in the head are not threaded, that's why the tube is held on by the offset bolts. I've seen guys cut the tube about an inch away from the port, crimp the end flat and solder/braze it closed.

Quick Reply: 86 F-150 emissions question