Pre-1997 Models

ALT died

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ALT died

New years eve my Alternator died!!! just went out without warning! and I got another one (as it failed all 3 tests on teh machine) with a lifetime waranty. Just wondering, I put another 80 amp I believe back in (after an hour and a half getting off and 20 mins putting back in). My question is should I have put a bigger one in or better one? Batt is fine, but the starter did fall off again christmas week fixed that with some locktite. Thanks

Old 01-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Boogerburns
New years eve my Alternator died!!! just went out without warning! and I got another one (as it failed all 3 tests on teh machine) with a lifetime waranty. Just wondering, I put another 80 amp I believe back in (after an hour and a half getting off and 20 mins putting back in). My question is should I have put a bigger one in or better one? Batt is fine, but the starter did fall off again christmas week fixed that with some locktite. Thanks
You probably could have bought a 130A 3G for what you have for that 80A. Ol well, live and learn.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
The 3G is the way to go in my opinion if you have any aftermarket electrical. Stock truck? should be fine.

Adrianspeeder

Old 01-08-2008, 02:14 AM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
The 3G is the way to go in my opinion if you have any aftermarket electrical. Stock truck? should be fine.

Adrianspeeder
Seeing as I'll be doing an Alternator once my tranny is swapped...I might as well ask now. What year/models were the 130amp units found in? I'll be going new/rebuilt from the parts counter, just want to know what I'm asking for.

-Dave

Old 01-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Popular source is the early 90's Tauris's. Join up and search 3g swap over on www.fullsizebronco.com

Adrianspeeder

Old 01-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Unhappy

well its mostly all stock except my stereo. that isnt. But i wouldnt think that would be MUCH of a problem. Oh well, should have come here first!!! :/ I needed my truck for the next day to go to work though. No ride=fired

Quick Reply: ALT died