Pre-1997 Models

Fuel Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Question

I am trying to get a 95 4.9l to run.

The truck had been sitting for a while, about 7 months. The gas was bad in one of the tanks and the other tank was pretty much empty. I put some ISO Heat in both tanks and filled the front tank with 10 gallons of fresh gas. The truck cranked and ran. I drove it down the street and back. When i got back I switched it over to the rear tank to see if it would run off the old gas. It sputtered for several seconds and i switched it back to the front tank and it kept running. I then switched it back to the rear and it died.

Now it will not crank. I replaced the fuel filter after this. I drained the rear tank and put 10 gallons of fresh gas in and another bottle of ISO Heat. Still will not run.

If I spray some starter fluid in the intake it will fire up.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
michael

Old 11-25-2007, 12:36 AM
Well, I figured out it was the fuel pump fuse.

Now the rear fuel pump is not pumping. Is there anything that could be causing this pump not to work other than the pump itself being bad?

On another note, but it could be tied to the rear fuel pump problem, when I select the rear fuel tank, the gauge goes to about the 4 o'clock position. I thought this might have happened when I was sucking bad gas out of the rear tank. Is there some reason other than the float on the gauge betting messed up by the hose I stuck in that could be causing this?

thanks,
michael

Last edited by mmhoward; 11-25-2007 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:04 AM
I had a very similar issue with my truck. It had been sitting for a few years and had about the exact same symptoms as yours.

It sounds like your rear fuel pump is bad. Mine would pump gas, sometimes, when the rear pump was selected. Whether it was working or not though, the guage always read way past full.i

You may want to check the tank selector switch before you go replacing a costly fuel pump. I've heard that these go bad and can cause the same symptoms as a bad fuel pump. While I don't think it is the switch, you may want to go ahead and replace it just to be sure.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:36 AM
I was thinking the switch might be bad also since something caused the fuel pump fuse to blow.

I wonder if you can buy an after market switch or if I would have to go to Ford?

I am going back to pick the truck up during Christmas and I have to drive it about 200 miles back to Memphis. Would be nice to have that second pump working for the trip back.

michael

Quick Reply: Fuel Question