Pre-1997 Models

Rear End Gear Oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear End Gear Oil

OK, I have 175K on my rear end, the Axle Code on the door says 19, which is non limited slip 3.55 rear end, so I am using 80/90W oil. My question is, how to fill the rear end. I see what appears to be a plug with a LARGE square drive fitting in it, on the driver side of the axle on the side connecting to the drive shaft. Is this the fill plug?

I have also heard people say to fill it from the RABS sensor, but how do you know when its full?

The front end is nice, it has a big square plug

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:38 AM
You have the correct fill port. With vehicle level, fill until the fluid just starts to weep back out of the port. I use a socket drive with 6" extension to remove and tighten.

Should take on the order of 3 quarts.

Never heard of filling it from the RABS port, but I guess to each their own. Just hope they aren't filling it until it weeps out of that port!

Old 11-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Talking Thanks

Appreciate the input, and how you loosened the dang plug

Old 11-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by bigred92
OK, I have 175K on my rear end, the Axle Code on the door says 19, which is non limited slip 3.55 rear end, so I am using 80/90W oil. My question is, how to fill the rear end. I see what appears to be a plug with a LARGE square drive fitting in it, on the driver side of the axle on the side connecting to the drive shaft. Is this the fill plug?

I have also heard people say to fill it from the RABS sensor, but how do you know when its full?

The front end is nice, it has a big square plug

Thanks in advance.
Pull the lower plug, then remove the ABS sensor. Start pouring the oil slowly in through the sensor hole and stop when it starts to weep out the lower plug hole. That will give the correct level.

Quick Reply: Rear End Gear Oil