Pre-1997 Models

Gas Milage Reprogramming

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Milage Reprogramming

A co-worker of my wife is charging for reprogramming Ford computers to increase the gas milage. Any one have info on this.
Kenny

Old 10-29-2007, 07:29 PM
Some reputable aftermarket tuning shows a MPG increase as a byproduct of the tuning and using higher octane fuel. Troyers Superchips tunes were reported by many to increase mileage.

Having said that, I would want to know a lot more about what the guy is doing to get more mileage before I even considered it myself. Done wrong someone could lean the truck out causing loss of power and potential engine damage.

There are some things that can be done to increase mileage that are proven. Electric fans, underdrive pulleys, ignition mods and often exhaust mods will help bring your MPG up.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Most backyard "reprogramming" involves wiring a resistor into the IAT to produce more HP, I'd guess there would be a similar trick to make the engine run lean but unless the guy knows what he's doing, he could be burning up some engines.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:21 PM
just keep in mind that gains in one area may be offset by losses in another.

A whole wad of money was spent on engineering to put things where they are as a best-fit for the various criteria given.

Increasing mileage may reduce performance, increasing performance may reduce life, doing any mods may result in expenditures that the manufacturer wasn't willing to make in order to keep their product price-competitive - how much, I don't know. It all gets down to what the goals are, and what is willing to be accepted.

Just concerned about some wonder product being able to out-perform the as-built configuration without some drawbacks somewhere.

If there were some economical wonder-fix, it seems that Ford themselves would have implemented them just for the bragging rights over Chevy & Dodge.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:53 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Sure your not mixing up the tuning of the '96 up OBD2 computers and not your basicly untuneable EEC-IV?

Adrianspeeder

Old 11-06-2007, 10:40 AM
The guy said he could only re-do '96 and up. Out of luck. I love this truck but I have to sell it the gas milage is killing me. Thanks for all the info.
Kenny

Old 11-06-2007, 10:56 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
If the gas mileage is killing you, a tune wouldn't increase it enough to fix that issue even if it were possible. The payback time for the tune is measured in years.

Quick Reply: Gas Milage Reprogramming