Pre-1997 Models

Fuel Pump Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump Noise

'93 F150, 302 Fuel injected. Dual tanks.
The pump in my rear tank is getting really loud! Normally you have to be standing next to the tank to hear it. Now I can hear it humming with the windows up and engine running. Front tank is as quiet as always. Impending failure???? 'Mo

Old 10-02-2007, 11:32 PM
I would say so. On the my old '93 302, it got really loud a couple weeks before it completely failed.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not necessarily. Mine was loud for over a year. Then it got quiet for several years. It still works fine. If you're curious, put a fuel pressure gauge on it. For more info, click my black Bronco below & look in the EFI Fuel Pump album. The diagram of the FDM includes instructions on testing pressure.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by Steve83
Not necessarily. Mine was loud for over a year. Then it got quiet for several years. It still works fine. If you're curious, put a fuel pressure gauge on it. For more info, click my black Bronco below & look in the EFI Fuel Pump album. The diagram of the FDM includes instructions on testing pressure.
Thanks Steve,
I'll check the pressure. I get paranoid when something changes sound from what is "normal"!! 'Mo

Old 10-03-2007, 10:42 AM
My experience is similar to Steves. At one point I could hear my front pump, now I can't. Now I can hear the rear pump sometimes.

Either way, if you have two tanks you're covered. I usually "rotate" my tanks already, not filling both unless I have a trip or heavy hauling/towing that will consume a lot of gas. I just fill one tank once the other gets down to 1/4 tank or so. That way I work both pumps on a regular basis, and always have a reserve if I have a busy day and don't want to stop for gas.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:14 PM
My rear pump is loud too.
Been that way about 3 years now.
Drives me bonkers, but if it ain't broke, I ain't fixin.
I got too much else to worry with and a front fuel pump as a backup.

It gets quiet now and again, but is loud more often than not.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Noise